It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Viewing Jupiter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:35 am 
Has anyone any experience with colour filters for observing Jupiter?
I am a fairly new member and recently observed Jupiter for the first time (that clear night a few weeks ago :) ) with my Skywatcher 200p (8 inch Newt’). It was really nice to see detail like two cloud belts and four moons. However the view of the planet itself is very bright I was wondering if any of the colour filters that are advertised or if anything else may help improve the viewing experience. If anyone has any tips, suggestions or recommendations I would be grateful.

Post subject: Re: colour filters (for Viewing Jupiter)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 pm 

I've not tried them myself John, but just try Googling "jupiter colour filter" and you'll find dozens of references.

It so happens that we're having a Committee Meeting next week, so if there are a few of our members interested in trying them, I'll propose that the Society invests in a set like this to try:
Attachment:
File comment: Antares 7-filter set
7filters.png
7filters.png [ 194.24 KiB | Viewed 7282 times ]

Anyone else interested?

Post subject: Re: Viewing Jupiter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm 
I have a set of these filters and as of yet have never tried them !! I will give them a try on jupiter on the next clear night and post the results ....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:55 pm 
I decided that as I dont really use them I will donate the filters to the society for them to be loaned out to members to try, so John, if you would like to try them for yourself I will bring them along next meeting and you can have a go and post your findings in the forum .......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:19 pm 
That's very kind of you Dean.
I will certainly give them a try and relay my findings, assuming we get a clear night sometime in the next few months :D .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 pm 
Jupiter is much higher in the sky this year than last year .......why is this ? Does anyone know ? .......

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:36 am 

dean_kos wrote:
Jupiter is much higher in the sky this year than last year .......why is this ?

It's due to the inclinations of our (the Earth's and Jupiter's) orbits around the Sun, and the fact that it's coming to opposition in our winter months.
That's a good question, so Keith and I will cover it more fully in our talk in January.

Meanwhile, I did some imaging last night, and got a better result that we did at Kelling Heath 3 weeks ago:
http://www.boltonastro.org.uk/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=635&fullsize=1
http://www.boltonastro.org.uk/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=612&fullsize=1

I was using the same equipment in each case, so what was different?
It's all down to the seeing (atmospheric conditions): the air was really still last night, and Jupiter was higher in the sky, so I was seeing it through a shorter column of air.
But both images were obtained using an unmodified webcam (on the back of a telescope) - we'll demonstrate this process during our talk in January.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm 
I have tried the filters a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. The set comprises of four different coloured filters. Although the view changes quite dramatically with each filter in terms of colour and contrast, I could not see much difference in the detail of Jupiter itself. If there are changes they are subtle and maybe my inexperience can't detect them as well as other people. However, I must add that the planet is looking spectacular at the moment and this is backed up by the fantastic images being posted in the gallery section at the time of writing this update.
I will return the filters at the next meeting to allow anyone else to have a go at trying them out.