It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The age of infinity
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:41 am 

I was rather excited about the societies new Atik Infinity camera having heard how sensitive the sensor was. Once set-up on the C11 the camera was focused and taking unobstructed ten second images of M57.

Even though I was only using the Artemis Capture software for quick results I was able to stream the images and it was enough to get both David, Dean and Ross quite excited when they saw the Ring Nebula live on YouTube even though it was starting to cloud over towards the end. Later I was able to use the camera again; Albireo this time, using the supplied Infinity software so it could stack the images after it captured them. But I didn't really get chance to push this as the sky clouded over and it was time to pack up for the night.

At the moment the Infinity software doesn't want to play ball using its own live streaming, so I'm still investigating this. However YouTube has done a good job of saving the live stream and if you want to watch history being recorded the links are below.

It wasn't a brilliant night for getting the best out of the camera (a lot of cloud knocking around) and there is a need to understand the Infinity software more but you take your chances when it comes to testing hardware so when those clears nights do happen you know you’re in good stead.

M57 – 10 Second Exposures – C11 Fork Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyY7BEwWo04

Albireo – 8 second images Stacked - C11 Fork Mount
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9zpKuvq7g

Attachments:
File comment: Celestron C11 mounted outside.
"No windows where harmed during the filming of the live events!"

20151106_1933002.jpg
20151106_1933002.jpg [ 91.05 KiB | Viewed 5103 times ]

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: The age of infinity
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:44 pm 

Just subscribed so hope I catch you on next time.

What problems are you having with the infinity software?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:45 pm 

Well done Carl!

What focal-ratio were you using on your C11 - the "raw" f/10, or f/6 with that Revelation focal-reducer fitted?

And did you have a play with the sliders along the bottom of the display? The two end ones are just like the "black" and "white" Thresholds in IRIS, and the middle one is the "gamma".
These controls let you bring out the fainter details, and you can adjust them on-the-fly as the images are recording and stacking before your very eyes.

P.S. funnily enough, I was using a folding step-stool as a seat beside my imaging system last night too!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:32 pm 

jpinna wrote:
What problems are you having with the infinity software?

You press the broadcast button and nothing happens. Plus there is nothing in the Quick Reference guide to refer to. But will be looking at YouTube videos later.

Quote:
What focal-ratio were you using on your C11 - the "raw" f/10, or f/6 with that Revelation focal-reducer fitted?

It was with the F6 Revelation focal-reducer fitted.

Quote:
And did you have a play with the sliders along the bottom of the display? The two end ones are just like the "black" and "white" Thresholds in IRIS, and the middle one is the "gamma".

These controls let you bring out the fainter details, and you can adjust them on-the-fly as the images are recording and stacking before your very eyes.

As I said in a previous post never got to chance to push the software as it clouded over. All I managed to do was get it up and running and take a few frames.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:27 pm 

in the software manual have you looked at appendix A, last pages this tells you how to set it up for the first time for you tube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:30 pm 

jpinna wrote:
in the software manual have you looked at appendix A, last pages this tells you how to set it up for the first time for you tube

Yes I did. The Software basically crashes after authenticating when you hit the broadcast button. Seems to do it for Windows 7 and Vista. At the moment have Atik on the case.

In the mean time did so some more stream last night, this time stacking the frames adjusting the balance

M57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks4neQtFcCE

M82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK13ZQK0weU

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:45 pm 

Carl,
The M82 stack is impressive. Amazing how the stars round up when a few are stacked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 am 

Excellent: M82 is a good object to show off the camera's response to the hydrogen-alpha regions. The red colour is evident even after 30s, and it becomes more "solid" as the stack builds up.
Were you shooting through the Baader UHC-S filter, or just the Revelation IR-blocker?

Last edited by rwilkinson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 am 

rwilkinson wrote:
Were you shooting through the Baader UHC-S filter, or just the Revelation IR-blocker?

I was using the Baader UHC-S. It's a good camera for collimating with as well.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:55 pm 

cstone wrote:
I was using the Baader UHC-S. It's a good camera for collimating with as well.

Need to correct myself. I had both screwed on the InfaRed and UHC-S

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera