It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Observing from dark skies
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:08 pm 
Hi all, yes I'm still alive and kicking ...... A little story that may amuse....

I have just returned from a family holiday in Cornwall, Charlestown in St Austell to be exact.... If you get chance Google Earth it and you will see its rite on the coast out of the way thus making it a good location for sky gazing. You will see the hockey stick shaped pier forming one side of the dock and the small row of cottages to the right of this pier was where we stayed for the fortnight.
The first clear night was fantastic from the cottage giving clear views almost as good as kelling of the Milky Way above but the two street lights in the village caused a small amount of pollution so I decided to go to the end of the pier at midnight one evening ..... Stunning, the full arc of the Milky Way was clearly visible and I stood there amazed for half hour or so.... Alone.

The amusing part comes the next evening when I decided my wife and children should witness this at least once so I dragged them all down to the same location on the pier, the sky was clear and even a couple of other people decided to join us and marvel at the sky above.
I then proceeded to use my expert :D knowledge of the night sky objects and pointed out a few to these people, double cluster, andromeda galaxy etc....... One old lady explained she couldn't see these things and before I could explain that looking straight at faint objects in the dark isn't the best way to see them Lewis said loudly, ( because he is also an expert ) that the way to do it correctly is to use " perverted" vision !!.........

We packed up our stuff and went back to the cottage .......

Post subject: Re: Observing from dark skies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:01 am 

Quote:
best way to see them Lewis said loudly, ( because he is also an expert ) that the way to do it correctly is to use " perverted" vision !!.........

We packed up our stuff and went back to the cottage .......

Brilliant
:D :D :D

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:15 pm 
He is his father's son lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:11 am 

Sounds like hes been listening to his Father :o