It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Polarscope contortions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:19 pm 

Hi Everybody. I have a Skywatcher HEQ5.
My problem with this mount is that to use the Polariscope, I had to sit on the ground or kneel to align it. That was on the SW tripod that came with the mount. I now use the pier as made by Brian and it is damn near impossible to use the scope without contortions and cricks in the neck.
What I needed was an adapter to give a 90 degree eyepiece. Searching the net showed that nobody makes one except for high cost professional gear. I wasn't going to pay £400 for one. Further searches showed that this is a widespread problem. A chap in the East Midlands Astronomy club made one from a SLR eyepiece adapter and a piece of tube which slid over the eyepiece on the mount and this cost very little. The eyepiece adapter was off of ebay and they can be had from £15 onwards.
I decided to have a go and managed to get an immaculate Pentax adapter complete with a leather case for £20 plus £3.99 postage. For the tube I used a 35mm film canister I had lying about. Carefully making a hole in the canister, I attached it to the eyepiece adapter and slid it over the polariscope eyepiece. A perfect fit. The only fly in the ointment is that the image is reversed left to right . This is no problem as you put polaris at 180 degrees across the circle in the polar scope. I use an app to get the correct setting point and this has the ability to reverse the setting. Problem solved. No more cricked necks or wet jeans.[img][img][/img][

Attachments:
IMG_2091net.jpg
IMG_2091net.jpg [ 128.93 KiB | Viewed 4015 times ]

Post subject: Re: Polarscope contortions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:24 pm 

Keith,
Brilliant idea!

I am just looking at my polar scope for the Bolton Tracker and an old Pentacon right angle viewer I had in the cupboard. Mine doesn't reverse the image though - it is still the same way around - it must have an amici prism inside. Yours sounds strange if it reverses things.

As regards connecting the two together - I guess you have to have the connection rotatable as the polarscope can end up at any angle depending on where Polaris is but you always want the right angle viewer pointing up..

Post subject: Re: Polarscope contortions
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:54 pm 

Thanks Keith

Managed to pick up a cheep finder from Ebay, the tube is an end stop for a plumbing pipe.

I also packed out the focus lens on the Polar Finder to stop the modified finder rotating and un-focusing the unit

Attachments:
Polar-Alignment-small.gif
Polar-Alignment-small.gif [ 49.75 KiB | Viewed 3231 times ]