It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: strange 'stars' any ideas ?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:35 pm 
Hiya Ross/all ... long time no speak or see !! hope you all had a good christmas and new year .... been mad busy with work etc, not had time to come visit you all, hoping to get back soon and get back into it and bring my eldest son with me ...... I need all your ideas on something i saw the other night and cant explain. I was working on a roof on wed night this week at about 6.30pm something like that, it was freezing cold and very clear. I couls see jupiter to my right and was looking at the constellation orion when i noticed two really quite bright stars just to the right of orion. They were about a hand width apart, one above the other and were easily the same magnitude as jupiter and, i would say, roughly the same size. They didnt move or twinkle or change their appearance in any way for about five mins, dont know how long they were there before i noticed em. as I reached for my mobile phone to check one of the apps i have regarding the stars/planets etc the bottom 'star' slowly started to fade down to nothing and as it disappeared the top one did exactly the same ! .... what were these? any ideas? it has baffled me to the point that i left a post on a daft ufo site about what i had seen and after being asked if i had tried to tune in telepathically while I was watching them someone left a reply saying that what i had seen were very common in southern california ! and were called fading stars ..... i thought this happened over months or years, not in a matter of seconds ........ anyway, does anyone have any explination for this? or did anyone else see the same? its bugging the hell out of me ......
not sure if i should have posted this in the section that i did so sorry if i am in the wrong forum ....
any ideas gratefully accepted unless your gonna tell me to wait till i see em again and send telepathic messages to little green men ....
thanks and regards
Dean

Post subject: Re: strange 'stars' any ideas ?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:29 pm 

Hi Dean, I wondered where you'd been!

No, I don't know what it was you saw on Wednesday night, but I've no doubt that it wasn't extra-terrestrial!
At that time in the evening both Orion and Jupiter would have been quite low in the sky (around 25-30 degrees), and so your objects could have been quite some way away. Now I recall that there was a lot of patchy fog around on Wednesday night, so the fading could have been due to it condensing between you and the distant objects - particularly as you say the lower one disappeared first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:00 am 

Dean,
I believe what you saw were the latest fashion craze which are "Chinese Lanterns"
These are quite common and were seen all over in the New Years Eve celebrations. Because of the calm weather they would hang in the sky and slowly fade as the flame underneath died out. Quite a number of people have mistaken these as something which they are not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
hiya .... thanks for the replies.... I here what you are saying but arn't those lantern things yellowish .... these where definatley white, just like two bright stars and they were definatley not there that bright in the past for them to be dimmed by fog or mist or anything ..... although, saying that im not nearly as experienced as you guys of seeing unusual 'stars' and the like ... or knowing for sure what im looking at. Its just that i have seen most things up there,planes, sattelites, ISS, metiors, planets even the odd lantern or two but these were nothing like any of these things, except stars ! ...... they just intrigued me immensly thats all and I hoped that someone else saw the same and could explain it for definate .....
Maybe they were exactly what you suggested and I just wont allow myself to believe they were something not as interesting as i'd hoped ....
Thanks guys
Dean.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:51 pm 
I know it has been some time since I posted this thread but I have just noticed the exact same thing again and in roughly the same place in the sky, this time just to the right of Saturn at half eleven this evening ..... Only one this time though but same appearance and behaviour..... What looks like a star suddenly becomes twice as bright and then fades, bright again and fade, each time fading more, roughly three seconds between bright and dim until after approx six times doing this fades to nothing.
I can't explain what this is, anybody else seen this or got any ideas ??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:07 pm 
You've not been looking at a lighthouse just before a power cut have you pal :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:21 pm 
This is interesting, may explain a thing or two .......
http://vimeo.com/61050986

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:35 pm 
This is also interesting, sounds like I wasn't the only one to see this ..... Bear in mind I saw this naked eye, not through a scope so to me it appeared stationary ......
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... in/4645166