It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: dlsr focus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm 

I can't seem to get my dlsr to focus on my scope, the focuser needs to go further back if you know what i mean to attain a proper focus is there anything i can do

Post subject: Re: dlsr focus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:51 pm 
What scope and camera are you using? Have you attached the camera with a T-ring?
Without wanting to preempt you answer, I am guessing you are using a SW or similar 130P - no?

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm 

the camera is a modified 1100d & the scope is an ascension 80mm f6 ed triplet i can't seem to get enough in focus, have also been told to try a barlow lens with a t thread on it but it is all suck it and see at the moment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:29 pm 

It depends on what you mean by focuser to go further back? In or out? If it needs to move "in" then that's a worry or a camera adapter that's too thick. If it is to move more "out" then that's an extension tube - certainly not a barlow lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:32 am 

sorry for taking so long to reply dave, I needs to go further in in It's something I'll have to mess about with but i will sort it out.
I have tried piggy backing my camera but its just a screw thread on top of the rings, so when i take a shot i get half of the scope in the picture.
To divert from the original question is there a website that shows you the stars of the nebulas i.e. when i looked through carls telescope at the school at M42 I was hoping to see amazing colours but all that was there were four little stars with shadowing round them.
So if i looked for other nebulas without knowing what the stars look like without the nebulosity the how will i know if i'm in the right place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:50 pm 

Andy,
Further in is a worry - try in daylight and see if it will reach focus. Otherwise sharpen the hacksaw.
Regarding aiming, most planetarium programs allow you to set up a field of view for various telescope/camera combinations. I have several set up for lenses and telescopes. All you do then is position the correct rectangle on the sky chart and that will show what will appear in the image - I print it out. For faint objects only the stars will appear in the initial short exposure finding image but you can check against the chart to confirm you are in the right place. I use this method and although a goto will usually get you thereabouts it is always sensible to check before spending hours taking images.