It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to the forum.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 pm 
Hello peeps, new member here. I was a bit apprehensive on my first visit on Tuesday gone but was pleasantly surprised at how things went. The subject matter was a bit advanced for me but I could relate to what was being said after I have done a lot of research and digging on the net regarding the subject of sky watching.

At the moment my main concern is what seems to me a great hurdle, simply put, buying my first telescope. Im looking at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-Ex ... 20c9ac8884

or maybe even this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skywatcher-SK ... 20dc49315e

Ive read that there are 900mm focal length scopes of the same make but its better to go for the focal length of 650mm, is this correct ?

I live in Hindley Green near Wigan so if there are any members that live nearby who can give advice then that would be great.

Best.

John.

Post subject: Re: New to the forum.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 am 
Welcome to the society John and the forums. And the frustration, cold toes, blurry images, flat batteries, failing equipment and software glitches....... Just to name a few of the problems you will encounter along your journey into astronomy.......
Joking aside........you, like many others, me included, join up firstly for advice on buying a telescope and how to use it, myself and all of the long term members will give you the same piece of advice and that is not to rush into buying anything scope wise for a while.
There are so many factors governing why this is the case such as what you want to see, if you want to attach a camera etc. couple this with the fact that the actual scope is only part of the story, the mount it's sat on being equally if not more important to enable any enjoyment out of your scope for whatever reason it's intended.
This can turn out to be a very expensive hobby if the wrong purchases are made early doors so just be patient before shelling out the shackle.
We have built up quite a range of equipment, scopes and mounts included over the years and this is all available for loan out to members so try a few different set ups and combinations to see what works for what you want to achieve before you buy, it will save you a fortune in the long run. Come see me next meeting to see what's on offer or visit the loans section of these forums.
Secondly, use the members knowledge at the meetings and on the forums to find out the best way of doing what it is you want, observing, imaging whatever you choose there are guys there with years of experience who have encountered and solved all the problems that come with starting up in this hobby.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm 
Very helpful and informative reply, many thanks.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 pm 

Welcome John

After joining I didn't buy my first scope for a year but when I first joined we only had a fraction of the asset to loan. So you are fortunate to have loan items available to use, borrow these and practice assembling in the daytime and refine on cloudy nights and then you are ready for the clear nights.

But as Dean pointed out this is can be very expensive and frustrating. Allot of is is down to listening, time, research, a good mount and deciding on a the setup that suits you best. Plus don't feel like your being held back when your hear advice you don't like.

Then be prepared to cry a few times. Curse at the sky. Blame God. Ask why me! OR while walking around the garden start muttering "What have I got to do to get a few clear skies" around here." And all this can happen on one night! :D

Carl

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm 
:lol: cheers :lol: .......................................erm your not joking are you :shock:

Again, good advice.......see you all at the next meet up, might have more luck and my windscreen wipers dont pack in lol.