It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: collimation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm 

I read Ian's post from a couple of years back. Nice to know that what's described as an easy process doesn't always work out that way. I borrowed the society's cheshire collimator but I'm struggling to get it right. Centering the eyepiece throws out the secondary mirror adjustment & vice versa. I've read a few articles but none mention eyepiece adjustment. I think I should have left well alone.
I thought last Tuesdays meeting was excellent with lots of opportunity to chat with knowledgeable members

Post subject: Re: collimation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm 

Quote:
I thought last Tuesdays meeting was excellent with lots of opportunity to chat with knowledgeable members

Pleased to here you had good time.

We are planning on having a telescope workshop in June / July, but from the sounds of things you've may off messed a little more than you've planned. The next workshop is image processing. But perhaps come early to the next meeting and we can have a tinker!

It's very difficult to describe the process. You want the primary mirror to have a clean view. Apart from seeing the secondary mirror you don't want to see the sides of the tube, or the rim of the exit tube appearing around the mirror. Then make small adjustments to the mirrors. If this is your first time you have to persevere. I did the 16" BBT and took me a few hours. My hands are still recovering from the gripping the knobs at the back.

Hope it helps

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: collimation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm 

Thanks Carl. I'll start again with the primary as the first adjustment. The workshop will be useful I'm sure. Bill