It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Saturn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm 
Hi guys
just posted some pics of Saturn i managed to squeeze in before the cloud cover made last night's meagre viewing impossible.
Can anyone tell me how i can make the images sharper? I've followed Deans advice on the settings for the webcam, but I'm a million miles off the other images of Saturn that other members have - Dean assures me theres plenty more mileage in the images i took last night, but I've had a fiddle with them in both aperture (Mac user!!!) and also photoshop. All I've managed to do is lose the colour & had to adjust the settings per channel - without any degree of success!
Any advice would be greatly received.
Catch you all tonight.
cheers
Andy

Post subject: Re: Saturn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:23 pm 
Andy, copy the avi streams from the webcam you caught last night and bring them this eve on a disk if poss, I'm no expert but I can do more with the streams than I can with one image ...
See you later
Dean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:56 am 

Amartin wrote:
Any advice would be greatly received.

Well Andy, you've clearly mastered the delicate art of getting your image onto the tiny CCD, which is half the battle! And the extra magnification of your Barlow lens is certainly worthwhile.

Getting the best focus is always tricky, but I think that you're getting quite close there - so it's just the camera settings and the image-processing which can be improved. Fortunately our next Tutorial (12-Jun) will address these issues. 8-)

In the meantime, you can look at the White Balance of the camera: your images are far too red at the moment! (I find that if I start with the camera on Auto, it will optimise the white-balance which I can then Freeze when I switch to manual. I use a shutter of 1/25 or 1/33, and have my gain set around 50% - but I'm probably operating at a lower f-ratio than you are.)

And then a little more work with the RGB Align and Wavelet filters can get more out of your image - here's your "s33g75" for example:
Attachment:
Saturn_barlow_s33_3.jpg
Saturn_barlow_s33_3.jpg [ 2.64 KiB | Viewed 3627 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 pm 
Thanks for the advice Ross & Dean - i'll have a bash at them tonight (weather permitting!).
Ross that picture looks amazing!
Im stunned by how much detail can be teased out of images taken with that little chip!!!!
Cant wait until the next session
cheers
Andy