It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: camera advice please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:38 pm 
am thinking of getting the Nexstar evolution 8 and would like to image planets etc.,not necessarily deep sky objects because if i buy this my budget is quite reduced and think going down the DSO route could turn out quite costly,so am looking for advice on which camera and any necessary equipment i would need.

Grateful for any suggestions,thanks

Post subject: Re: camera advice please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 pm 

I've always used a Philips VGA-webcam for planetary imaging (and we have a couple of these in our loans-pool). And more recently Dave Ratledge has been using a Microsoft Lifecam HD for planetary work:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1650&fullsize=1

But you'll need a very long focal-length to get good results - so use a Barlow-lens or eyepiece-projection in front of the camera. And at this magnification a flip-mirror is indispensable for getting the target onto the sensor.

However bear in mind that the next few years won't be so good for observing or imaging the planets at high magnification, as they never get particlarly high in the sky from our latitude - so we're always looking at them through a thick layer of our atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:14 am 
Thank you for your advice Ross,appreciate your reply

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 am 
On that basis Ross do you think that the scope i am thinking of would be a wrong choice for me?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:09 pm 

I think that the Nexstar Evolution you mention uses a Celestron C8 f/10 SCT optical tube - which is exactly the same as Dave and I use (mine is on an EQ5 German equatorial mount whereas David's is on a wedge/fork). These have a "raw" focal-length of 2m, even before you start adding any more magnification. And the 8" aperture gives a nice bright image, although you're looking through a broader column of air so you'll usually see more turbulence than with a smaller aperture.

For planetary imaging you won't need a GoTo mount - any motorised equatorial mount will do the job.

Note that 8" SCT tubes often come up on the second-hand market - in fact there's a Celestron C8 in Cheshire up there at the moment:
http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=121723
But don't skimp on the sturdiness of the mount you put it on: an EQ5 at the very least, and a tripod with tubular-steel legs - or even better a pier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:48 pm 
Thanks again Ross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm 
I modified a Microsoft HD webcam that I never use if your interested in using mine. I've moved a long way away from webcam imaging now & its gathering no photons where it is.
PM or email me if you are interested
Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm 
Thats very kind of you to offer the webcam but have bought a ZWO ASI120MC-S so thank you very much for the offer