It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SynScan EQ5
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:46 pm 

I thought I had it cracked this evening (at last) EQMod running and connected to mount,camera software running. Alignmaster running and attempting to find the first star.then the lap top froze. No control-alt-delete. Nothing so I forced a shut down and rebooted. Having re installed the software and reset the scope to polaris, I ran Alignmaster again but the scope slewed nowhere near the first star, Dubhe. I gave up at this point as too much cloud had started to come over but on reflection, I wonder whether I should have switched the SynScan off and back on after rebooting the laptop. Would it have retained the memory from the first session?

I also have a problem with the focus control. If it's anywhere near the vertical, it will slide in under it's own weight. Is there a clutch that can be adjusted? Any advice will be very
welcome. Bill

Post subject: Re: SynScan EQ5
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am 

Bill,
Is alignmaster compatible with Eqmod? Ascom devices are notorious - individually they work - collectively then problems arise.
I would tend to use the absolute minimum software until things are working ok. Adding more bells and whistles will then show clearly where the conflict comes from.
I would use a polar scope for polar alignment - many excellent images have been taken with this amount of precision.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:30 pm 
Bill,
Have you managed to image an object successfully as Dave suggests without the bells & whistles?
If not then you really will struggle to identify where your errors/component issues are. There is no magic software or piece of kit that will allow you to capture images quicker or better.
Get back to basics until you can get out & capture runs of images consistently, forget the auto guiding, as com & drift alignment - stick to the polar scope. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for failure.
You've got my number, give me a ring Bill
Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:48 pm 

Thanks for that. Yes I need to go back to basics and get some results.
Gerald kindly rang this morning and we sorted a few things out including the focus control which was far to slack. Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 am 
Exactly Bill,
dont waste any more time trying anything other than polar aligning & capturing a run of 10 images - with your newt - probably 30-40 seconds each exposure would be pushing it without elongating stars so go for a bright object - Orion maybe.
When you can (consistently) do this, then & only then look at autoguiding, ASCOM & everything else that can go wrong.
Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:08 am 

Thanks Andy. I'll do exactly that the next clear sky including the darks etc. Then maybe I can go to the next hurdle. Processing.