Bushnell Equinox Digital Night-Vision monocular

Reviews and questions about new and old equipment.
Share with us your latest purchase or discuss equipment that you are currently using
rwilkinson

Bushnell Equinox Digital Night-Vision monocular

Post by rwilkinson » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:16 am

This is something which I didn't mention in my recent talk on Unconventional Imaging Tehcniques:
I got one of these 6x50 monoculars last year:
https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Night ... sku=260150
It's really a video-camera with an imaging sensor which is sensitive into the Infra-Red: so its eyepiece shows the view on a little internal display. It has a built-in IR floodlight for short-range work, but of course I had this this turned off when I pointed it up at the night sky.
There are four sensitivity settings: a colour mode which works in dim light, and then three monochrome modes for night work. It also has a built-in video-capture mode, which saves .AVI files onto a micro-SD card.
It was good at picking up faint stars, although the focus proved tricky: if I got one sharp, then some of the others looked very fuzzy. I reckon that this is down to the wide wavelength sensitivity of the sensor (including the near-IR), so different spectral-class stars would focus differently through its simple achromat lens?
I also tried it on some of the brighter deep-sky targets:
m42.jpg
The Orion Nebula through the DNV camera. 30-sec video, processed in IRIS.
m42.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
But by far the greatest success I've had to date was Comet Wirtanen in December 2018. The comet was then 4th-magnitude, but so diffuse that I could hardly see it in the eyepieces of my binoculars or telescope. However it was quite obvious in the DNV eyepiece, and I was even able to capture an image of it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=989&start=5