Meade zoom eyepiece

Reviews and questions about new and old equipment.
Share with us your latest purchase or discuss equipment that you are currently using
CEtherington

Meade zoom eyepiece

Post by CEtherington » Tue May 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Good evening.
I am thinking about getting a zoom eyepiece. Any thoughts? Plus points or bad points. I was annoyed that my images from yesterday had so many splodges and marks on them. To be fair I have only 'inexpensive' and 2nd hand plossls, so they won't be perfect. I'm thinking of spoiling myself with this Meade...
series 4000. 8mm-24mm zoom.

bbones

Re: Meade zoom eyepiece

Post by bbones » Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 am

Zoom eyepieces are ok however I believe your better off getting individual eyepieces to suit your observing and perhaps a focal reducer as I believe your using a MAK127.

To get an idea of what you can see is to use Stellarium and set up your Scope and try different focal length eyepieces in the Ocular view. This will provide you the FOV with your or any Scope and different Eyepieces and Focal reducer

Hope this helps

DRatledge

Post by DRatledge » Thu May 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Bill is right - zoom eyepieces are best avoided. We have one for our Coronado solar scope but this works ok because there is only a single wavelength for it to focus - not a range of colours.
With your long focal length nearly all eyepieces will work well. I recall Brian had a wide angle erfle on his mak and that worked fine. Zoom eyepieces tend to have narrow fields of view - not desirable with long focal length scopes.

CEtherington

Post by CEtherington » Thu May 12, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanx for that. I shall instead treat my self to new single ( or maybe a set) of eyepieces.