It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Solar observing film
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 am 

I've been using the AstroSolar film from Baader Planetarium
http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-astrosolar-a4-nd50-safety-film-sheet.html
since the 1999 eclipse. This comes in a silver-coloured sheet which I've used to make caps to go on the front of my 'scopes and camera lenses, with the left-over offcuts being used for solar-specs. Looking or imaging through this film gives a "white-light" image of the solar disk, against which sunspots (or transiting objects) appear black.

But having used up all my stock of AstroSolar, when I came to order some more I came across this alternative from Seymour Solar:
http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/seymour-solar-12-x-12-thin-film-solar-sheet.html
This is designed to render the solar disk in a pleasing yellow-orange colour, rather than antiseptic white.
So on Saturday I made a new filter-cap for my StarWave 80ED (no doubt why it was cloudy all day yesterday?). But I did manage a quick squint through it this morning, and should get a better chance to test it tomorrow...

Post subject: Re: Solar observing film
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:44 pm 

rwilkinson wrote:
should get a better chance to test it tomorrow...

The Sun definitely looked much better through the eyepiece in Seymour-colo(u)r than Baader-mono.
I fitted my old Pentax DSLR and captured this:
Attachment:
File comment: Testing Seymour Solar filter. 1/60-sec with Pentax K110D on StarWave 80ED at f/6.9
sun_23feb.jpg
sun_23feb.jpg [ 343.7 KiB | Viewed 2742 times ]

So I'll soon be exchanging this film for the AstroSolar in the filter which I made for my little TS70ED!