It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EQMOD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:06 pm 

Thanks to all who helped yesterday both with collimation and setup on the laptop. I thought I had a reasonable grasp of EQMod but although the connection to the mount is now OK. Slew control etc. works, I've missed the ability to point to an object in Stelarium or c2a (now downloaded) and get the mount to slew to it. Further help would be appreciated. Bill

Post subject: Re: EQMOD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm 

By R clicking an object in c2a, then 'telescope' - 'slew to object' the scope slews but there's no indication on the screen of the scope moving towards the object as was demonstrated yesterday. Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:36 pm 

Does the mount start moving and then stop. Then Does EQMOD say, Slew Limits Reached! Flashing repeatedly.

If so then on a clear night (or partially cloudy as a test) set-up and give it a try. You'll find it will work.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 pm 

Bill,
When you switch on and connect - move the planetarium window - either stellarium or C2A - towards the Polaris region. The telescope cross hairs should be there as that is where it thinks the telescope is pointing. This is before you select any object. If they are not there (they were in Stellarium on Tuesday) I guess there must be an option to switch on the telescope cross hairs.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 pm 

No Carl. When clicking on an object. the scope doesn't move. However as you rightly pointed out David, the scope is at polaris and I can move it with the slew control. However I thought at the meeting, that the scope moved to the object simply by clicking on it. Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 am 

Bill,
From what you say Iguess you can see the telescope cross hairs now?
The telescope won't move automatically to an object just by clicking on it. That would be dangerous so having selected an object (by clicking on it) then a separate slew command will become available. Where that slew command will be varies with different programmes. For stellarium I recall it was a sub-menu at the bottom and c2a will have it somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 am 

Thanks David. That works. I just need to work out how to do a three star alignment with this software now and I can get the mount back on the pier. I should find that somewhere in the tutorials. I'm away for the weekend so hopefully I'll get things set up next week. Thanks for all your help. Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:59 pm 

Bill,
With a polar aligned permanent set up you won't do a 3 star alignment. You will just do a single star sync. That is why sync is so essential and is the next thing you will need to sort out.
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm 

Thanks David. I wouldn't have known that. I'm looking forward to getting things set up next week. Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am 

You are right David, Stellarium does allow you to Sync.

When you open Stellarium Scope, configuration details are shown in a box in the centre i.e. Telescope name and Slew, Sync and Cancel commands with an associated key. On mine these are numbers 1, 3, and 5 respectively, the default I think. These are effectively created as three "telescopes" in Stellarium via the configuration file when you click "Update Stellarium Configuration" in Stellarium Scope.

You can see these in Stellarium as follows:- Ctrl 0 (Zero), Configure Telescopes, Telescopes.

Once the mount is set up and aligned and Stellarium running I centre on a bright star and click on that star in Stellarium - The Telescope symbol should already be on it if all is working correctly. Pressing Ctrl 3 (in my example) will Sync and then you can select other objects and pressing Ctrl 1 will cause the mount to slew to the selected target.

If you need to stop a slew because of a tangled cable or whatever Ctrl 5 will Cancel it.

Remember that if you make any changes o the Stellarium Scope Settings you need to "Update Stellarium Configuration" each time and restart Stellarium for them to take effect.

Regards