It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pier
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm 

I've been there, really frustrating.

I run Stellarium via Stellarium scope connected to my NEQ6 mount via the handset in PC Direct mode. There is a plugin within Stellarium that supposedly does away with the need for Stellarium Scope it might work for you but I have never had any success with it.

I can't remember all the steps but I remember having the wrong com port set in EQASCOM and that prevented connection.

I will hook up my mount and get back to you with the process I follow, assuming it works!

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm 

bchamberlain wrote:
This has gone on for days. Where next?

Well bring your mount head, handset, leads and laptop along to Tuesday's telescope clinic and ask one of the EQMOD gurus to show you. I'll fetch a 12V battery to power it up.

I've never used EQMOD myself, as it's not compatible with the Celestron mounts, but I can drive them direct from Stellarium, or from Cartes du Ciel via ASCOM. I've even had it running via a BlueTooth wireless link!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:34 pm 

Bill

My process, bearing in mind that I connect via a Synscan handset in PC Direct mode.
1. Fire up Mount and put in PC Direct Mode
2. Fire up PC, then open Stellarium Scope. This automatically opens Stellarium as I have Auto start box checked, if you don't then start Stellarium.
3. In Stellarium Scope check that you have the right Mount selected. If not Click on Select mount and select EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6. Click on Properties and check that the Latitude and longitude are as set in Stellarium and that the COM port is correct. Click ok twice.
4. In Stellarium Scope ensure that the Port Number and key are the same as in Stellarium see 7 below. if it all looks ok Click Connect and it should connect.
5. If it works then the EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6 window should appear and the mount position probably flashing parked, click to unpark the mount.
6. If you have made any changes to settings in Stellarium Scope you will probably need to click the update Stellarium Configuration button and replace the existing file, from memory you need to close and restart Stellarium for changes to take effect
7. In Stellarium click Ctrl 0 (zero) or click on the telescope icon in the bottom menu strip and click Configure Telescope. Hopefully you should see Number 1 - Scope, 3 - Sync and 5 - Cancel all saying connected. The name Scope should be the same as the telescope label in Stellarium Scope if its not then this could be a cause of any problem that you are having. Also the numbers 1, 3, and 5 are what appears as Key in Stellarium Scope - see 4 above.
8. Try selecting a target and press Ctrl and the number that correspond to your scope ant it should slew. In mine it is number 1.
9. One final thing to check is that you have the correct "Telescope Controlled by" setting. In Stellarium highlight your "Scope" and click configure. Mine only works with "External Software or a Remote Computer" selected, your setup may be different. If you alter any setting here you will probably need to press the connect button in the telescopes window.

It can be a pain as sometimes the error messages are not helpful, "Incorrect Parameter" doesn't exactly narrow things down There is a diagnostics menu in Stellarium Scope which may help. I usually find that its something to do with the Com Port or the Key and Associated Port Numbers in Stellarium Scope not being the same in Stellarium which the configuration file takes care of. If you still have problems e-mail me any error messages that you get and I will see if I can help.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling but I hope it helps.

The good new is that once you get it going its easy to use.

Regards

Post subject: Re: PC control with EQMOD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:37 am 

rwilkinson wrote:
bring your mount head, handset, leads and laptop along to Tuesday's telescope clinic and ask one of the EQMOD gurus to show you

Good news - thanks to Dave and Carl it's all working now (it was mainly a USB enumeration issue, I think?).
And Carl also showed why Cartes du Ciel & C2A are better options than Stellarium for control: their Sync feature helps to get the PC display lined up exactly with the real sky, and you can also fine-adjust the pointing from the Telescope Control Panel when imaging the planets at high magnification.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm 

I think we may have been too hasty in saying stellarium could't sync. There is an enable sync tick box on the stellarium scope screen - perhaps this wasn't ticked. I think more testing (by Bill) will confirm whether stellarium is suitable for eqmod telescope control.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:41 pm 

Attachment:
BWPier.jpg

Latest model to roll off Brian's production line, for a couple of bottles of ESB you get a gold plated version.

Nice one Brian, thanks very much its great :D .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm 
Mr Webber........ We seriously need a little chat about commission sir.... :D looks great Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:48 pm 

Dean

You might get the dregs from one of his empties :lol:

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 pm 

Bernie. I don't know how I missed your contribution to all the advice I've had. Probably should have clicked page 2. There's nothing I can do now till I'm back home next week but although I've connected to the scope OK, there's a few points you've made that I'm keen to check up on.
Thanks for your help Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 am 

I followed your step by step Bernie and have now got everything sorted. I haven't used the handset as the interface cable I got does away with the need for it. I can now get my mount back on the pier and get it set up. Thanks again. Bill