It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pier
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm 
Just putting up a pic of my pier mount. Its the offcut from Dean's VLT; apparently, its a bit like an iceberg - more of it under the ground than on top! The redoubtable Mr Kos did the installation - The head of the mount and adaptor was made by Brian.
The mount itself would be a little bit whackery for Gerald as its buried in earth (with cement) but its far easier than fannying around with a tripod everytime you want to do a bit!!!

Now all i need to do is place the scope or camera on the mount & align. Amazing difference. If anyone was ever thinking of a pier -do it.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments:
pier.jpg
pier.jpg [ 56.61 KiB | Viewed 7011 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pier
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 pm 

Looks good and got to be better than the tripod once you know where the best position is. Presume you leave the head on and only have to fit the scope?
How deep is it sunk into the ground and was it a wet or a dry mix?

Cheers

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:16 pm 
Yes, the idea is to leave the head on and just remove the scope after a session, once polar aligned the head stays exactly where it is, thus eliminating the time it takes to set up and align every time its a clear night maximising the time imaging........It's sunk in the ground about three foot with rods sticking through the base of it for grip into the concrete and I used specific post mix, two bags of it, to anchor it all in as this stuff goes off very fast when mixed and is just about set solid within a half hour ....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Its been well seated by Dean - (much appreciated mate) & i've made a bit of an A team job to make a frame from 5mm threaded bar (bent by hand - Brian & Gerald would have a fit if they saw how rough it was) to keep my cover (parachute overbag proffed from Her Majesty) from touching the mount head itself - same principle as a tent - initial layer, frame holding outer layer.

Will need to sort out a proper job for it really, but so far, its made a phenominal difference.
Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm 

Attachment:
pier.jpg
pier.jpg [ 37.18 KiB | Viewed 6953 times ]

Nice one Andy. I'm about to dig the hole for mine tomorrow. Brian's done a great job for me with a new pier. It was hearing your and Dean's comments about setting up on the tripod that spurred me on. I was wondering what effect the volume of concrete makes to stability, i.e. how big a hole do I dig?
As I'm new to all this, Can you tell me what EOS connection you make to the camera from the PC? N3, Usb or HDMI and is it the DSLR Shutter software?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 am 
Looks good ... You need to dig a big hole ... Big enough to completely bury the plate with the bolts sticking out .. Deep enough to leave enough bolt sticking out of ground to attach the pier to ... Then completely encase it all in concrete, loads of it .
The eos connection is USB using eos utility

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm 
Do whatever Dean says on the digging & burying of the baseplate - ive no idea.
Looks good though Bernie - I dont use the EOS utility on a laptop - i just use my laptop for guiding.
It is something that i do need to look at further as i want to know if there would be any conflicts if i was to use a guidecam and the EOS utility on the same laptop - noting the obvious performance issues running both in parallel would introduce.
Let us know how you get on Bernie, im only down the road if you need a hand getting setup once the concrete is dry.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:12 am 

Thanks Andy. I'll take you up on that. The 14" x 14" x 22" hole takes more concrete than I thought so only half filled yesterday but the threaded rods are firmly in place. Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 am 
Make sure everything is as level as possible as you go Bill or you are completely wasting your time ...... Remember, spirit level is your friend ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:04 pm 

The next step is to control the EQ5 mount from EQmod. Easy? NO ! I've set the mount up indoors to figure thing out. I've downloaded a version of Stelarium which is compatible with StelariumScope, EQ Mod, EQ Ascom, Ascom Diagnostics. I have these on the laptop, the netbook and the PC. No conflicts in device manager but I can't make a connection to the mount.I've also aquired the lead described on this web site & installed the drivers. This has gon on for days. Where next?

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/ ... 0_5_0_5_66

Attachments:
Pier.jpg
Pier.jpg [ 31.89 KiB | Viewed 6823 times ]