It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: It's In!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm 

For those that are interested after some swearing and grunting It's In.

Had first run last night and managed to get within a few degrees of the moon, without any alignment stars. Certainly within the viewfinder and I think I maybe able to improve on this, but beat the original set up hands down

The cloud cover got worse before I had chance to collimate using "Brian's Knobs". But going in the right direction.

Thanks Dad, Brian, Gerald and Ross

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: It's In!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:37 pm 

WOW

Looks the business, how did you get on with the polar alignment?

Regards

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm 

Quote:
how did you get on with the polar alignment?

Not much of a problem. Spent an evening without the telescope mounted, so I could roughly get the pole star into the finder while tightening the bolts so the mount wouldn't move.

Then fine tuned further once the scope was on. Still needs to be drift aligned, sort that later once I'm happy with the collimation

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 pm 

Tremendous!
I like the paintwork on the new pier too - its a little reminiscent of a submarine periscope. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:48 pm 

Whats the height of the eyepiece?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 am 
Hi Carl,
That looks very impressive. I see that there is a set of step ladders shown in the photo that you posted. Are those just used to gain access to the eyepiece or to add an element of excitement when viewing from a height?

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 am 

I don't understand all this talk of "eyepieces" - there is a camera at the 'scope's focal-plane which proivdes comfortable viewing to an observer seated in front of one of the (three) screens at the control console. 8-)
The steps will only needed during the current installation and calibration phase.

In contrast, steps will be needed (by vertically-challenged observers, anyway) to reach the eyepiece of the Society's new BIG Bolton Telescope - a 16" Newtonian with a 1.8m focal-length! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 pm 
Hi Ross,

sorry to go off topic, but I have only heard bits and bobs about the new dob / canon that the society is / has purchased. I have not seen any formal post concerning it.

With a F ration of 4.5 it will require some serious quality EPs and the likes of a Paracorr or similar coma corrector to get the most from it.

I have had the pleasure of observing through a similar 16" scope and it is truly amazing, albeit with Tele Vue Eps and Paracorr. To have the double cluster fill the FoV with pin sharp stars is really a site to behold.

again sorry for going off topic

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 pm 

Quote:
Are those just used to gain access to the eyepiece or to add an element of excitement when viewing from a height?

Both. :D

The downside of big ladders is that when people loose balance the first thing they grab is the telescope. So these are locked away and I have a small pair of step-ladders for switching between cameras and eye-pieces.

You can't beat eyepiece for finding an object and In this instance I find a 32mm gets me near the object and close to focus.

Since the telescope will be used mainly for astrophotography the camera in the image is a Cannon. Which I installed so I can get the balance of the scope right.

But for general viewing I've used the LXWebcamera as this gets quicker images on the screen for impatient little ones.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera