It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dew Heaters
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 pm 

Hi

Do they really work. I was out the other night and the build up of dew was quite bad even with the Dew Sheild fitted, even the spotter scope got misted up, yet the eye piece was OK

I have a 12 volt hair drier but that quickly flattenered the battery so use a mains one which worked but was a pain

Cheers

Bill

Post subject: Re: Dew Heaters
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 pm 
In short Bill yes they do...... They are better at prevention rather than cure though, by this I mean you have more chance of staying dew free if the heater is used from the start of your session as the heater will struggle a bit to clear a fully dewed scope.
I use one of the home made ones as described in the projects section of this website and, as yet, have not encountered conditions that have caused me to stop observing or imaging because of dew. I also use a dew shield on the c8 but find that this alone is not enough so I use both.
I would highly recommend you getting one as they are indispensable for the serious astronomer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 am 

Thanks for the feed back, looks like my next project :o

Cheers

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 pm 
Id agree with Dean on this Bill, i picked up a controller & a band for mine in Kelling this year, both for £40 & theyre invaluable. Only flaw in the designs are that if you have a full length bar attached to your scope they do leave quite a gap where the band has to go over the circumference of both the bar & the scope. Maybe there's a mod to be done there to cut down a cross section at the end of the bar to allow a heater band to pass between the bar & scope... I feel a Brian/Gerald project coming on!!!! :idea:
Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:22 pm 

bbones wrote:
looks like my next project

Bill, I've still got half a reel of that Constantan wire left over, but the Nichrome type (like Dave uses) could be better, as you won't need as much length to get the right resistance.

And see Ian's post regarding the low-cost controllers from China:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366&p=1344

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:54 am 

Ross, Thanks for the input, I need get some form of Dew Control can you point me to the article and I will see if I'm up to making one for the C8 and it's spotting scope?

The controller you pointed out looks like it should take care of the electronics

Cheers

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 am 

Ross, Found the article, just reading throught it now. Might need your help :roll:

Regards

Bill