It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 3:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Billet Parts - MS HD Lifecam Adaptors
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:51 am 

Amartin wrote:
I haven't had chance to try it in the scope yet but I did plug it into my laptop & in astro capture tried to run it at it's highest res - it almost flat-packed windows XP by stealing all the resources, so I'll have to either buy a mega powerful laptop, or reduce the res I capture at!

Thats going to be my problem as well. All my computers are Mac's so ideally I'd want to hook it up to my Macbook Pro. I do have a very old windows laptop but it fell over when I tried to run registax on it, although that might have been the size of images I threw at it that it didn't like, but its isn't a quick laptop by todays standards :(

Amartin wrote:
I was pondering how hard it would be to fit a UV filter to the billet adaptor

The adaptor takes standard 1.25" filters. I have a moon filter screwed in mine for now to protect the sensor. My only worry is the depth of the filter messes up focusing when in the scope as the filter sits on the front of the adapter but as I haven't had any issues with filters in eyepieces I doubt this will be an issue.

Amartin wrote:
I never thought of offering it up to an EP for a test Phil

Its focus was pretty shallow, only an inch or so above the keyboard to achieve focus but at least I could see the letters were focused. I used a 25mm eyepiece

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:15 am 

It never ends, When I started to look at Astronomy as a hobby I thought, get a scope and a star chart and stick my camrea on it and away you go...... wrong

Ross mentioned at the last session about cheque book Astronomers, well mine is now empty :( and I'm still looking at another scope perhaps even third. I've got Phils 200P to try out as I was about to buy the 200PDS but the write ups put me off because of having keep rotating the tube, even thought I have not been actually looking through the eyepiece I have managed to find a suitable position for the eyepiece and have tested my theory buy doing a 3 star alignment in the conservatory :lol: and then selecting the planets I know would be visible and also a couple of Messsier object, which worked out quite well and did not cause too much of an issue for me, however the Better half is a lot shorter than me and would need a small step ladder to be able to see through the eyepiece ant some angles :) even so it's still on my list as a possible purchase, I'm also looking at the C8 and the Skywatcher 180 as both of these would be easier for her to look through. How are you getting on with the C6?

Bill
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
HEQ5
Canon 600D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Canon 600D
Canon 400D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:58 pm 
I know what you mean Bill, I started off with a 6' Newtonian - which didn't suit me at all. It's in my experience (limited though it is) impossible to move it about without having to rotate the tube.
As for the C6 - I couldn't be more pleased. it does everything well enough to stop me having to have multiple scopes. It's compact, light & sits very well on my EQ5 - not whackery at all!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:34 pm 

Yes I remember us talking about it and that was one of the reasons why I was having a re-think, I do beleive however that there has to be some benift of a refector as they are so popular, perhaps not on a GOTO. Once I put Phils 200P on the HEQ5 the better half said no way, well it did loook big in the conservatory :lol: Is your mount a GOTO :?:

She said I would be better off with a bigger version of type I have (127 MAK) :P

Still waiting to hear when and if the C8 will be avalaible, however I'm still keen on the 180 as its £100 cheaper, the down side is that it's not going to as good for DSO as the C8 or the 200P / PDS. You can understand why it's so difficult for the more experenced members to really advise as it's want you want to do with it. Te best advice I got was get the bets mount that you budget will allow. It's just like asking me whats the best computer to buy, I ask similar questions and they still are unsure and I end up trying to find out why they want a computer, quite a few say, because they would like one, an have no idea of what to use it for :roll:

Fingers crossed for some clear skys as I feel a bit guilty holding on the Phils scope for so long

Catch you later

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Canon 600D
Canon 400D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:43 pm 

bones wrote:
as I feel a bit guilty holding on the Phils scope for so long

It would have been handy to test the webcam mods but I'm not in any rush. So I wouldn't worry about it, its not like I would have be using it given the weather we have had. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:52 pm 
Mine is a GOTO Bill & I had the same 'where the hell is that going' reaction when I brought the 6' Newtonian home, so the 8' would have seen me habiting the car for the evening. Fortunately the C6 is very compact & it'll take a long time before I outgrow it or need anything else. If a Schmitt-Cassegrain is good enough for the guys like Ross et al... Then it's certainly good enough for me!
If I hadn't have dropped onto the C6 then I was planning on an APO 5 or 6 inch, the only thing holding me back was the price lol. I think that the refractors & reflectors are a bit uni-directional, so im glad I've got a unit that can do a bit of everything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:34 pm 

Hi Guys

Web Cam Mod done and built, in the testing stage

Will keep you updated

Bill

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Canon 600D
Canon 400D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 pm 

Well it's working, popped it on my 127 for a quick test.

looks like some form of water mark, even if I rotate the camera the image rotates but the marks stay in the same place.

Any idea's

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Canon 600D
Canon 400D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 pm 

bbones wrote:
looks like some form of water mark, even if I rotate the camera the image rotates but the marks stay in the same place.

That's just a dust-speck or hair on the sensor.
I use Eclipse cleaning fluid
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solutions-Eclipse-Cleaning-Bottle-PS0020/dp/B0000AUR1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340047050&sr=8-1
on a cotton-bud to clean mine, under a magnifying lamp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 pm 

On its way 8-)

The mod was quite easy, a bit fiddly for my big hands but manged to get it all in the tube ;)

Seems to work quite well hopefully get it on the sky one of the evenings

Thanks for your help

Bill

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Canon 600D
Canon 400D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next