It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Refector or Maksutov-Cassegrain
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:50 pm 

Hi Bill

Yes it was a great night on Tuesday and it was nice to finally have a chat with people and look at other people's scopes. I've only been to three but the fortnightly meetings don't really give us all much of a chance to chat especially when your a newbie and don't know anyone.

As for the collimation, Ross and David didn't seem to think it was too bad now and I also noticed on Tuesday evening that it was a lot easier to focus and get detail on the 10mm eyepiece and even on the barlowed 10mm. I'm not sure if this was down to better seeing or because of my attempt at collimating the scope. I haven't adjusted anything on the scope since Tuesday but Ross has lent me a brass eyepiece with which to try the collimation again. I think thats a job for Saturday afternoon along with learning how to setup the polar scope properly. I'll also buy either a Cheshire or Laser Collimator this week as well and see how that goes.

Rotating the scope is a bit of an odd one which I hadn't considered until I found I had too, but its not too hard and price wise I think the 200p was all I was really prepared to spend on a first scope. Anything in the 6" or 8" Maksutov, Schmit Cassegrain range would have more than doubled my initial outlay.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:36 pm 

Hi Phil

Likewise I'm a new member and it's been very handy to meet others in the same position as me, well, I'm the only one with no kit.. abd to talk to the experenced members

Pleased to hear your getting sorted

I really like your setup and it's good to have the rings as I could mount my camera on it. my only change would be the PDS as it's got the fine focus

One of these days I will anounce I have bought something :lol:

catch you soon.

Bill

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
Canon 600D
Canon 400D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:48 pm 

bbones wrote:
my only change would be the PDS as it's got the fine focus

I would definitely have gone for the PDS if the mount had stayed the same price, but with the mount not being discounted on the PDS it added over £120 to the cost of the 200P+EQ5.

The Crayford dual speed focuser only costs £120. So whilst I find my feet it seemed a better deal to go the 200P route and save a bit of money. Especially knowing that I wouldn't be any worse off if I later found I wanted to upgrade the focuser.

I had a similar thought if it was the mount I decided to upgrade. The 200P and EQ5 cost £398, with the mount being discounted to £140 when purchased with the 200P. On its own the mount is £230. So my thought process was that if I later decided to upgrade the mount to a HEQ5 or NEQ6. I could probably sell this one on ebay for almost what it cost me, even allowing for it being second hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:21 pm 

The more I understand the more I keep changing my mind. I suppose this is the learning curve and thanks to the help I've been given by the members I have not waisted any money

I thought I was all set and then realiased I would like to do more than look at the moon and planets as I'm now doing that with my basic 3" Refector and not wanting to buy the wrong scope / mount I have held off.

I know from practical experence using the Tasco that the mount is just as important as the scope, however setting up the EQ5 each time looks like hard work, I'm sure that with a bit of practice setting up it up will become easier but it's not point an look..... ;)

I'm still looking at the EQ5 with the GOTO and the Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 as the scope looks more portable. think however I would struggle with the deep sky stuff..

Catch you later and thanks for your feed back it's been very usefull

Clouds tonight so back to more research...

Bill

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
Canon 600D
Canon 400D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera