It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: StarWave 80mm APO refractor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 am 

If you think that an 80mm refractor sounds like a small 'scope, then think again - this offering from StarWave (formerly Ikharos) is a really substantial (and reassuringly heavy) instrument.
Attachment:
File comment: The refractor on an CG5 mount - the position of the 5kg counterweight on the balance-arm gives an idea how heavy the 'scope is.
starwave80 003.jpg
starwave80 003.jpg [ 136.99 KiB | Viewed 5110 times ]

As well as ED optics it also boasts a really heavy-duty focusser with slow-motion control, and the entire back-end of the 'scope is on a rotating collar so that you can always have the finder on the top (and the focus control in the same place) no matter what the orientation of the main tube. It accepts 2" eyepieces, and has a 1.25" reducer too.
The current price is under £300, including a substantial flight-case which could make your neighbours think that you've taken up a noisy brass instrument!

With a focal length of just 555mm (f/7), I didn't think it would be much good for planetary observing - but when I fitted my seldom-used 6.3mm eyepiece I could see surface features on Mars - and adding my Barlow-lens (to achieve a magnification of around 170) brought them even clearer (what a shame that Jupiter had set behind the house by then!).

With my 26mm wide-angle 2" eyepiece I could get the whole of the Pleiades in the field of view, and the Double Cluster, and M81 & 82 galaxies - but the skies here in central Bolton are hopeless for faint objects, so I can't wait to try it from Kelling Heath!

Post subject: Re: StarWave 80mm APO refractor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am 

Thanks for the feedback

Well, given what I know at the moment I and that I'm using a 3" refector would have thought 80mm was far too small. The lens and the eyepiece must be of good quality, Think my eyepeice has been made out od the bottom of a milk bottle.

Did you get this local or mail order?

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
Canon 600D
Canon 400D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am 

bbones wrote:
Did you get this local or mail order?

Our Chairman fetched it from Norwich.
You should be able to see it in action tonight at Euxton, and next Tuesday at Sharples.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:06 am 

Borrowed it again.

Really nice piece of engineering, still getting use to the shorter focal lenght (555mm) compaired to my Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 (Focal Length: 1500mm (f/11.8))

The increase in light capture is making up for the loss in magnification and it fits nicely on my HEQ5, just grappling with the flip mirror to get the 600D and the web cam on it.

SkyWatcher 80ED Apro
Sky-Watcher Skymax-127 SynScan AZ GOTO
Canon 600D
Canon 400D
Opticstar PX-35C COOLAIR CCD camera