It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Helios (now "Skywatcher") 8" f/5 Newtonian
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am 

Having used the little ETX90 for a few months, I caught "aperture fever" for a while, and bought this much larger instrument! ;-)
It came with an EQ5 mount (which I still use), but needed two counterweights to balance it, so the supplied lightweight tripod was really too "whackery" for it, so I got an old wooden surveyor's tripod and adapted that instead.
Attachment:
File comment: The Helios 8" Newtonian on my wooden tripod. The original lightweight alloy tripod is shown beside.
helios.jpg
helios.jpg [ 30.84 KiB | Viewed 3223 times ]

The optics were good, and the 1000mm focal length was a good compromise for wide-field viewing and planetary observing (with a Barlow lens), and it was fitted with a 9x50 finder-scope as standard: this makes locating faint objects much easier than with a 6x30 or "red-dot" finder!

I made an "eyepiece projection" adaptor for my digital camera, and got a few decent pictures of Saturn with it (see the Gallery).
The draw-tube could accomodate 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, and also had a "T2" thread for mounting a camera.

After a couple of years transporting it back and forth between Bristol and Bolton, I sold it and bought my much more compact 8" SCT.

Last edited by rwilkinson on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
added picture