Helios (now "Skywatcher") 8" f/5 Newtonian

Reviews and questions about new and old equipment.
Share with us your latest purchase or discuss equipment that you are currently using
rwilkinson

Helios (now "Skywatcher") 8" f/5 Newtonian

Post by rwilkinson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

Having used the little ETX90 for a few months, I caught "aperture fever" for a while, and bought this much larger instrument! ;-)
It came with an EQ5 mount (which I still use), but needed two counterweights to balance it, so the supplied lightweight tripod was really too "whackery" for it, so I got an old wooden surveyor's tripod and adapted that instead.
helios.jpg
The Helios 8" Newtonian on my wooden tripod. The original lightweight alloy tripod is shown beside.
helios.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
The optics were good, and the 1000mm focal length was a good compromise for wide-field viewing and planetary observing (with a Barlow lens), and it was fitted with a 9x50 finder-scope as standard: this makes locating faint objects much easier than with a 6x30 or "red-dot" finder!

I made an "eyepiece projection" adaptor for my digital camera, and got a few decent pictures of Saturn with it (see the Gallery).
The draw-tube could accomodate 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, and also had a "T2" thread for mounting a camera.

After a couple of years transporting it back and forth between Bristol and Bolton, I sold it and bought my much more compact 8" SCT.
Last edited by rwilkinson on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added picture