It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 4:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guide scope
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm 

I've yet to get my Orion guide scope keep track. The latest message tonight before the clouds rolled in was "RA failed.The star failed to move enough" The star gradually moves away from the center of the green box and the box alternates between green an orange. Any ideas? Bill

Post subject: Re: Guide scope
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:41 pm 

Hi Bill

I can't help directly as I am not yet guiding but I have downloaded a few articles in anticipation of trying it out one day. Perhaps this one might shed some light on your problem.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2755

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 pm 

Bill
To calibrate, PHD drives the motors of your mount and watches what happens. It has no way of knowing what the focal length of your guider is. What it is telling you is that in the time it allocated to driving the RA motor it didn't move enough for it see a movement. The Orion guider has a very short focal length so it will need quite long period to get a visible movement. You need to click on the "brain" icon and up the calibration step (in micro-seconds) to something much bigger - trial and error I guess.
I have two guiding options - one requires setting to 3 times as long for calibration as the other.
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 pm 

Thanks for that David. I really appreciate the help I've had over the last few months. I'm currently on 750 ms so there's room to increase between there and the 2000 ms max. there may be a chance to try it on Saturday night.
Bernie. That's a really good article. Just about seems to cover everything. I'll print it out as a reference. Bill