It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Photoshop - end of an era?
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 pm 

Adobe Photoshop has become the de-facto standard for digital image processing. However, Adobe have announced that the current Photoshop CS6 will be the last version on sale. Its replacement (to be part its CC suite) will only be available via a subscription of around $20 per month - probably £20 to us.

Needless to say this has generated a huge wave of anger amongst photographers. Adobe do not seem to care however and suggest if you can't afford the subscription then buy their Lightroom product which is subscription free. However, Lightroom is lightweight - it does not have the tools - particularly those needed for astronomical images.

So if you have a version of Photoshop CS hang on to it - it will be irreplaceable!

PS - CC doesn't stand for continual charge - it is supposed to be Creative Cloud.

Post subject: Re: Photoshop - end of an era?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 pm 

Yes David, it seems to be the latest trend.

Apple have had their cloud for a while and BT has launched one too. I suppose its their way of further tightening up on pirating software and to force people into upgrades once they are hooked. I am sure that it will be a one way street.

They will get us all in the end when they bring out some new "must have" gizmo. Maybe you could beat them at their own game and go for short term hire and save all your processing up for the dark, cloudy, cold, winter months or even light, cloudy, cold, summer months. Not sure how practical that would be though.

PS6 is £630 retail so the annual subscription (£18 per month) will equate to 33 months ownership and the cancel anytime (£27 pm) 23 months.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:50 pm 
There is no true replacement for PS at the moment. I say that as there will be, others will bridge the gap in the market as Adobe refusing to further develop & support PS will leave a huge void.
Currently those fortunate to run on the Mac platform, Aperture is leading the charge and looks like a viable option as a replacement for PS, in truth it's probably closer to Lightroom than PS5/6

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 am 

I'm not a big photo editing user so could never justify the cost of Photoshop and I always used Paint Shop Pro which did everything I needed at a fraction of the cost. Since I switched to the Mac about 7 years ago I've been using Pixelmator which cost about £10 and is very powerfully for the price.

Post subject: Re: Photoshop - the free alternative
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:06 am 

I use the GNU Image Manipulation Program - it's free and runs under Windows or Linux
http://www.gimp.org/

But note that this package processes images in 8-bit format, so I just use it for any final touching-up, having done all the main 16-bit processing in IRIS.
And its layers are also handy for overlaying two images with different exposures - e.g. lunar occultations or solar disk & prominences.