Finders, guiders!

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
rwilkinson

Finders, guiders!

#1 Post by rwilkinson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:01 pm

As reported elsewhere on the Forum (and in The Bolton Astronomer), I've been experimenting with using an LX-webcam and 200mm lens for auto-guiding my C8 telescope.
Just before Christmas I'd made a little bracket to mount this camera on the front-end of the dovetail-bar, underneath the telescope - where it helps with the mechanical balance too.
That worked very well, but I realised that it would be really useful to be able to aim this camera exactly where the main telescope is pointing, so that I could use it as a remote-finder too (since my Pentax DSLR doesn't have a live-view facility). Well, my prototype wasn't adjustable, so I've just replaced it with a beautiful aluminium (non-"whackery") Gerald Bramall original:
gbbracket2.jpg
"Under-belly" mounted tele-webcam for finding and auto-guiding (the orange wrap is an anti-dewing heater)
gbbracket2.jpg (223.22 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
And handily this camera has a slightly larger field of view than the main 'scope (operating at f/6.3), so I'll have a bigger choice of stars to find and guide with:
finderguider.png
Comparing fields of finder/guider and imaging systems
finderguider.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 3482 times