It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: cctv camera
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 am 

Got my hands on a faulty cctv camera, got it home and tried it and the picture was like a TV not tuned in properly to a channel, so opened it up and had a look around and found a thin flat ribbon cable was not in the connector [one side was not up flush] and bingo works a treat.

So while I had the lid off I removed the ir filter.Thought I would do some tests against my phillips webcam, Church tower about half a mile away thru my mak from my upstairs window and took some snap shots of both camera's and I must say the quality is not to far behind the webcam. So now I need to do another mod on it and make a 5 button wired remote so I can access the OSD menu without having to touch the camera.

I want to try to see if its any good for live view of DSO's and capture. I know it will be nowhere as good as a DSLR or astro cam but for a fiver i can't complain. In all I've spent £17 and thats with buying a c-mount adapter.

Tried it out on the Moon tonight but had no look with it, couldn't get it to focus only had a few minutes due to cloud cover, think it would of been better to try it on the 130p.

Post subject: Re: cctv camera
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 am 

jpinna wrote:
I want to try to see if its any good for live view of DSO's and capture.

Well done on repairing that camera John - it's great to be able to recycle kit like that, rather than scrapping it! 8-)

But if your video camera is limited to exposures of 1/25-sec then it won't be much good for faint objects. A few high-spec video cameras from Mintron and Watec have a "starlight" (i.e. Long eXposure) facility, where they can internally integrate photons over a few seconds, and these are the ones to use for DSO imaging.
However yours should be fine for planetary & Lunar imaging - as well as projecting the "live-view" from the eyepiece onto a video monitor, you could also try using a capture device to digitise the video into an AVI-stream for import into RegiStax or IRIS.

I've got a book on Video Astronomy and an old Hauppauge USB-video box somewhere - I could bring them along next Tuesday if you're interested?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 pm 

Hi Ross

here's a link I found to what this camera can do, [with someone who knows what they are doing] :lol:
http://www.asemonline.org/members-pages/steve-boerner-s-page/public-viewing-with-a-video-camera

same camera but badged different.. I have sbc 2000.
I've downloaded 2 software to try..Mallincam control extreme and gstar4 video capture, as last night I was just using sharpcap.
they give me a lot more options and to take it upto 512 sens up.8.4 secs. and they both seem compatable with the cctv cam.

thanks for the offer for the video box, I've already got a capture card and laptop as about 500gb hdd free space on it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:03 pm 

Last night results on Jupiter.These are snapshots from the liveview video within the Gstar4 software. I panicked a bit when i saw the video thinking that the camera was still faulty.
Attachment:
File comment: this is the 1st snapshot
Snapshot_0001-1.jpg
Snapshot_0001-1.jpg [ 69.4 KiB | Viewed 8041 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: started to reduce the settings
Snapshot_0003.jpg
Snapshot_0003.jpg [ 68.96 KiB | Viewed 8041 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: still not right,halo round planet
Snapshot_0007.jpg
Snapshot_0007.jpg [ 129.39 KiB | Viewed 8041 times ]

Conclusion: is to set everything on low for Planetary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm 

Though it looked clear there was still cloud knocking around last night, so that could be causing the halo effect. Also Dew on the telescope, if you've not got a dew heater or shield.

But its good to see you are picking up some detail.

Did you manage to try a Barlow lens (or was that with a Barlow) but more important did you try and capture any frames for processing.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: this is the best one
Snapshot_0017.jpg
Snapshot_0017.jpg [ 124.11 KiB | Viewed 8037 times ]

this is not processed [I dont think so] I'm not sure if the software stacks them automatically.
I took 1000 frames of avi and when i tried to stack them in registax it only showed 1 alignpoint. [I most likely be doing something wrong] I wanted to try it on some DSO but I spent 2 hrs just to get this far and my fingers were numb by this time just like my head

scope was mak 127 and no barlow and ALP filter.

It looks promising

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm 

jpinna wrote:
It looks promising

It does look promising, does the text appear on the frames as well?

If you are using Registax Six it can be a pain to set the alignment points. Not sure why they felt the need to change an already simple process but the easiest answer is to revert to Registax 5 and place an alignment box around the object.

From what I'm reading and hearing, the Deep Sky capability is interesting. It seems to be another good way of getting into Deep Sky Imaging without plunging into SLR cameras or having to modify a Philips Camera.

Though you may need the light gathering of an 8" telescope! But don't let that slow you down, you got this far.

But Definitely try a Barlow lens, Registax 6 should pick up more alignment points.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

Hi Carl, I ended up turning everything to low or off..The SSDR @ SSNR is what gave it the Halo effect so they were turned off and set shutter speed 1/50 but i lost the moons. I need to spend a bit more time on the settings and then when i think i've got it right is to write down all the settings and to make the remote contol pad so i dont have to wait for camera to settle down.

next clear night I will try it with barlow 2x and 3x

I snapshot with the menu on so i could use it as a reference to see what setting i was using for that frame. but it can be switched off

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:22 pm 

Hi John

If you are using Registax 6 then set Minimum distance between align points to a lower value, try 15 to 20, also select 3x3 area under Intensity value. This should increase the number of align points selected. You can also set them manually if you can identify a feature that the program can lock onto, simply (left) click the mouse but keep away from the edge, right click will remove them.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 am 

jpinna wrote:
I wanted to try it on some DSO
scope was mak 127

John, I think that you're asking a lot to image faint objects at f/12.
You'd get much better results with an f/5 telescope, or even an old SLR telephoto lens operating at f/4.