3D Astrophotography

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
PMiskiw

3D Astrophotography

#1 Post by PMiskiw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 am

Our society have produced some stunning pictures of the night sky but is it possible to take 3D pictures of objects in the night sky so that they can be viewed using the blue and red glasses?

bbones

Re: 3D Astrophotography

#2 Post by bbones » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:40 am

Hmm

I have a copy of Roxio creator 2011 pro which converts 2D to 3D, See attached

Used my red and green glasses to make solar glasses so unable to see what it looks like

Let me know how you get on :roll:

Bill

DRatledge

#3 Post by DRatledge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Peter,
We had an excellent talk on 3D imaging a few years back. The astronomical images were simulated and several packages/utilities are available (as Bill points out) to produce psuedo-3D. I reviewed some software a few years ago for Sky&Tel which toured the galaxy in 3D. It required setting the distance apart of your eyes to get 3D on an astronomical scale - this distance could be a great as many light years!

PMiskiw

#4 Post by PMiskiw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm

So unlike ground based images which you can take 3D images by moving the camera a few inches to one side and using software to process the image this is not feasable using maybe the earths orbit to give a change of perspective?
I ask because I saw a Horizon programme where a facility based in USA were taking pictures of the night sky over a period of time and then produced a tour in 3D perspective.