A "kitchen-sink drama" with auto-guider!

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
rwilkinson

A "kitchen-sink drama" with auto-guider!

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I finally had some clear sky last night to try out the off-axis guiding system on the back of my C8:
guiding3.jpg
C8 fitted with Pentax DLSR, OAG unit and LX-webcam, on CG5-GT mount
guiding3.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
As it was rather cold, I'd set up my control console inside the kitchen, with the cables routed out through the window:
guiding2.jpg
The contol console was as near as I could get to the kitchen window!
guiding2.jpg (199.51 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
My initial experiments were to determine how the field-of-view of the guide-camera relates to that of the main imaging system - this should help me in future to locate convenient guide-stars close to my intended targets.
In the example below, I could offset the comet from the centre of my field, so as to get a 7th-magnitude star onto the guide-camera's CCD:
cometframing.jpg
Cartes du Ciel display showing the field-of-view of the DSLR and the annular window for the guide-camera
cometframing.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
But by the time I'd got all this worked out, it had clouded over. :(
Hoping that the clouds would clear again, I went off to do something else for ten minutes - only to rush back with towels to rescue the outdoor equipment when I realised that it had started raining! :roll:

mhall

Re: A "kitchen-sink drama" with auto-guider!

Post by mhall » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 am

Very nice setup, what ccd have you been using? CCD's are soooo expensive.

rwilkinson

Re: A "kitchen-sink drama" with auto-guider!

Post by rwilkinson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:48 am

mhall wrote:what ccd have you been using?
An old Philips webcam (available for under a tenner a couple of years back) which I converted for long exposure (but only need a couple of seconds for this application).