It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Microsoft lifecam studio & astrocapture
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:04 pm 
I'm having diificulty in getting astrocapture to allow me to change any settings with my webcam. It won't allow me select the fps, exposure etc, if I move a slider it moves it back, I have uninstalled the lifecam drivers & now ive hit my talent wall.
Any ideas???
Cheers
Andy

Post subject: Re: Microsoft lifecam studio & astrocapture
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:41 am 

In properties, did you select your webcam in there, I've just tried it with my philips 900, i just uncheck the 2 boxes for full auto and auto exp and everything works

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:35 am 
Yeah i tried that 1st.
No good. i googled the answer & it said to uninstall the lifecam program - which ive done. I may have to look at either another codec to see whether that works, or maybe another piece of software to capture the images.
I successfully managed to focus an image in the daylight & tried it at varying resolutions to see where my laptop would grind to a halt (which wasnt much over 800x448 i have to say). I cant get it to run at 5fps @ 1080x720 no matter what i do.
Will hopefully wait & see what the weather has in store for us tonight. at 00.30 this morning it was cloud free over my house - probably the clearest i'd seen in a long time. Gutted i wasnt prepared for it!!!

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 pm 

I found this if it helps

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... /MLC.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm 
Not heard of that one. May give it a look if my current setup isnt upto much. Need a clear night to do an acid test!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 pm 
The round Microsoft lifecams fit really well inside a £14 Plossl eyepiece with the lenses removed and the eye hole made big enough to fit the plug through. Just remove the metal jacket and stand from the camera and wrap insulation tape around it neatly so that the camera slides inside the eyepiece. I've done this with mine and the focusing is close enough that I can focus with an eyepiece, remove the eyepiece and insert the camera. Everything stays in focus and It's cheaper than buying a custom made holder for the lifecam.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:28 pm 
I've managed to get some decent full HD resolution images last night, I do have to say that you need a fairly beefy laptop to run this webcam at 1080p. Dave R was correct in his assumption that the PC running the device is the delimiting factor. My new one is 3gb RAM dual core with a great graphics chipset - it did cope admirably well without any dropped frames (sharpcap). Hopefully I'll be able to post some results later on tonight once I've sifted through them.
Cheers
Andy