Post subject: Re: Planetary imaging with Canon "LiveView"
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm 

Hi Dean

Are they AVI or MOV files? I converted the MOV file to AVI

Cheers

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:04 am 

Did you use the "video crop" mode for Jupiter - so that you just have a 640x480 video stream centred on the planet?
If not, your HD video will be bloated by all the unwanted empty (black) pixels, but you could still use the WinFF program to crop your video before loading it into RegiStax.

But as the Moon fills your field-of-view you won't be able to crop it in this way, so you'll always have an enormous number of pixels to process - so use shorter capture files?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am 
There is a large avi button in V5. Version 6 automatically detects large avi files but I have found that it does struggle with output from my Canon even when using a duo core processor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:26 am 
Video crop mode ? Is this on the camera or the program ? My camera doesn't take video if its the camera you mean, that's why this program to capture the live view feed as video is so useful to me. I have a feeling it's just my laptop and will have to just take shorter runs of images so it can cope...... I had this in the past with the webcam when I went daft capturing 1000 images to process, couldn't cope, so I guess it's this.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am 
Problem solved I think ..... I tried loading the files using a different laptop and even though I have 2062 images in one run of the moon it seems to be trudging its way through alignment .... Lets see how it copes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am 
While the laptop works away ill just mention one benefit of using this live view program to control and capture the feed from the canon that I have found and like very much ...... When just using the canon alone you can obviously shoot, say, Jupiter by watching the live view on the back of the camera, you can even zoom in to get a bigger view but, when you zoom in using live view to say 5x and try to capture what your seeing the camera doesn't capture the 5x zoomed view your looking at, it just captures the standard zoomed out image you would see through the viewfinder. With the program you can actually capture the 5x zoomed view and get a bigger image of the planet your looking at........brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 pm 

The 5x live view stream is the one pixel to one pixel setting ie what you want. The video crop is not available on your camera - only a couple of models had it and it seems to have disappeared from the very latest models.
Look forward to the results!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:55 pm 
My word ! it actually worked, managed to process the two halves of the moon I had captured last night (wont all fit in view of c8) then added them together in microsoft ice and the result is on the gallery..... Im really pleased with it and found it a doddle to get to grips with, for once ! not like the early days with my webcam ! I also managed to grab some footage of jupiter and 4 moons, so will be busy this evening processing that one also........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm 

I think you should give a copy to that guy at Tesco - the one who used to process your films!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:14 pm 
ha ha yeah, the spotty one with the pony tail !!
I was happy that I can get decent planetary stuff now a bit simpler until I just clapped eyes on your latest jupiter shot !! I am processing mine now but I'll bet it wont look like that !