Orion StarSoot Solar System Colour Imager

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
bholmes

Orion StarSoot Solar System Colour Imager

#1 Post by bholmes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Has anyone experience of using one of these. There seem to be very few reasonably priced webcams around and I was wondering if this is worth investing in.

DRatledge

Re: Orion StarSoot Solar System Colour Imager

#2 Post by DRatledge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Bernie,
I think it is based on the QHY5 camera - it appears to have the same chip. Both Gerald and myself have been disappointed with the QHY5 so if is the same it will probably be nowhere near as good as a Philips webcam. The latter have a better chip but are out of production and secondhand prices have increased accordingly. However, there is another option and it is a Canon DSLR with live view. With one of these you have a great deep-sky camera and a super fast webcam as well. One camera does it all. A bit dearer though - there's always a snag!

bholmes

#3 Post by bholmes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Thank you for the advice David

Yep there is always a snag, like the Orion is amongst the cheapest but as I suspected its not very good. I must admit that I am torn between the Webcam which seems like a reasonable economic fix and the DSLR which is more costly but looking at the Gallery can produce a stunning result - in capable hands of course. I have a 450D that I had thought of having modified, but, and here's the snag it doesn't have live view and I should like that. I will keep my eyes open on the second hand sites for a while, after all it does not look like we will have any clear imaging skies for a few days yet.

Thanks again, and by the way, in what are you seated in your photo.

DRatledge

#4 Post by DRatledge » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Bernie,
I thought the 450D had live view????? Might be worth checking the manual. If it does you already have a super-fast low noise webcam with a parfocal viewfinder!

bholmes

#5 Post by bholmes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:02 pm

David
Sorry a pinkware problem. Its a 350D!