canon eos utility

For those interested in imaging and image processing with DSLR, CCD, webcam or film.
dean_kos

canon eos utility

#1 Post by dean_kos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi all, does anyone know of any way I can set length of exposures in canons eos utility ? I want to press a button and let it get on with it capturing image after image, just like the plug in timer I have ....... Any ideas....??

dean_kos

Re: canon eos utility

#2 Post by dean_kos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:30 pm

actually, just answered my own question..... if anyone struggling with this, you need to click the small stopwatch icon, but, (and this is where I was stuck) it wont let you click on it if the mirror is locked up (disable using camera not eos utility or it wont make a difference) and live view must also be disabled...... now you can click stopwatch and plot a series of shots........

dean_kos

#3 Post by dean_kos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 pm

also you need to ensure that the time between exposures is larger than the exposure time or the camera wont have time to process and save the image before the program asks it to take another and everything goes wrong.....

dean_kos

#4 Post by dean_kos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm

also make absolutley certain that your battery is charged up .......Dammitt ! its gonna be daylight before I capture any images !!

AWalmsley

#5 Post by AWalmsley » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

I've got this working but I can't remember what you said about the mirror lockup. I disabled this in the camera settings to make the timer option work but now the mirror and the shutter are both operating at the same time. This will just make my scope shake.

dean_kos

#6 Post by dean_kos » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 pm

What you need to do is, when you click the stopwatch icon, set the top 'delay setting' to about 2 or 3 seconds, this is the delay between moving the mirror and starting to capture.......(this should solve your problem). Then the second 'shooting interval' needs to be more than the actual length of exposure your shooting so camera has time to process and save the image. Then obviously the number of shots or exposures you want and the bottom one is again obviously the length of exposure you want.
Hope this helps.

AWalmsley

#7 Post by AWalmsley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm

I tried what you can see in the pictures but the mirror sounds like it is just going up at the same time as the shutter. The "Delay setting" just appears to be the time until the first shot is taken.

Maybe that option is not compatible with my camera?
Attachments
EOS2.png
Timer option
EOS2.png (20.41 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
EOS1.png
Main screen
EOS1.png (42.65 KiB) Viewed 5718 times

dean_kos

#8 Post by dean_kos » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 pm

I can see your problem, you need to go to canon website and download the update so you have more options in the long exposure box .... Then proceed as my last post ...