It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: canon eos utility
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm 
Hi all, does anyone know of any way I can set length of exposures in canons eos utility ? I want to press a button and let it get on with it capturing image after image, just like the plug in timer I have ....... Any ideas....??

Post subject: Re: canon eos utility
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:30 pm 
actually, just answered my own question..... if anyone struggling with this, you need to click the small stopwatch icon, but, (and this is where I was stuck) it wont let you click on it if the mirror is locked up (disable using camera not eos utility or it wont make a difference) and live view must also be disabled...... now you can click stopwatch and plot a series of shots........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:40 pm 
also you need to ensure that the time between exposures is larger than the exposure time or the camera wont have time to process and save the image before the program asks it to take another and everything goes wrong.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 pm 
also make absolutley certain that your battery is charged up .......Dammitt ! its gonna be daylight before I capture any images !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm 
I've got this working but I can't remember what you said about the mirror lockup. I disabled this in the camera settings to make the timer option work but now the mirror and the shutter are both operating at the same time. This will just make my scope shake.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 pm 
What you need to do is, when you click the stopwatch icon, set the top 'delay setting' to about 2 or 3 seconds, this is the delay between moving the mirror and starting to capture.......(this should solve your problem). Then the second 'shooting interval' needs to be more than the actual length of exposure your shooting so camera has time to process and save the image. Then obviously the number of shots or exposures you want and the bottom one is again obviously the length of exposure you want.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
I tried what you can see in the pictures but the mirror sounds like it is just going up at the same time as the shutter. The "Delay setting" just appears to be the time until the first shot is taken.

Maybe that option is not compatible with my camera?

Attachments:
File comment: Timer option
EOS2.png
EOS2.png [ 20.41 KiB | Viewed 4325 times ]
File comment: Main screen
EOS1.png
EOS1.png [ 42.65 KiB | Viewed 4325 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 pm 
I can see your problem, you need to go to canon website and download the update so you have more options in the long exposure box .... Then proceed as my last post ...