It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: which canon ??
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm 
Which model of canon dslr is the best one to go for for use with astrophotography ??

Post subject: Re: which canon ??
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:19 pm 

Dean,
That's a big question. Do you mean new or secondhand?
Generally the newest mega-pixel cameras are over the top and their small pixels not really a benefit for us. For simple focusing those with live view make life easy -for this you are talking 450D/40D onwards. Having said that I used a 300D for many years and Gerald still uses the 350D which don't have live view. These are cheap and suffer from a little amplifier glow in the corner but you can get around this. They are relatively cheap now and getting them modified will add around £200. The modification is well worth doing as it increases red response by around 5 times. This is important for nebulae. Of the newer ones the 1000D is worth considering - it has live view and not too many (small) pixels.
Modded cameras appear from time to time on UK Astronomy Ads . Modded 300Ds are about £200 going upto modded 40Ds at £500. Its worth keeping your eyes open.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:50 pm 
Thanks David, I was thinking second hand, I noticed Gerald uses the 350d and was looking at those on ebay and the like .... But I think the 'live view' may well be a bonus with me being a relative novice .... i will keep scrawling the ads and see what pops up ....

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
Does anyone have a full copy of canon eos utility for vista on disk ? I seem to have every other disk in with this camera other than the software I need !! Its a canon Eos 1000D ..... canons website only post the updates but not the original program ..... some forums mention a way around this by tinkering with the registry on my laptop but not really keen on this....

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:57 am 
I've just had a look at our cd's, we have the same camera, and found the EOS utility comes as part of the solution disk. I can make a copy of this if you want? or i can try to email the contents of the disk, but im not sure it it would work. It does seem to be a full version of the program - ver 2.4. And it says it works with vista.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:39 pm 
Thats fantastic thanks...... If you could run me a copy off and bring it to meeting on 7th june I would appreciate it very much ......
Again thanks very much ......

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:21 pm 
Ok, I can do a copy of the whole disk so it will have lots of other things from canon too, but eos utility is definately on it. Your welcome

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm 

Dean,
This web site has a quite detailed comparison of the Canon range specifically for Astro Photography:-
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/DSLRcomparison.html

It doesn't include the latest models the 1100d or the 600d. I think the 450d ended up as one of the better ones for Astro phototography.

MikeS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:25 am 
Thanks to Tom for providing me with the eos utility disk, it works perfectly. Now I will be able to control the camera from my laptop whilst it is attached to the 'scope'
Thanks Tom.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
Glad it works:-) and your welcome. That camera has been great for us, you'll get some brilliant pictures with it :D