It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SharpCap - a wxAstroCapture alternative
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 pm 
I've been looking at an alternative to wxAstroCapture called SharpCap. Do not confuse this with SharpPCap which is something completely different but shows up in google searches.

It supports standard and LX mode. Some of the main differences are :

• The slider controls appear in the main window instead of in a separate dialog box
  • LX captures are stored as separate PNG files instead of in one AVI. These can still be loaded in RegiStax. This means you can delete the bad images first in explorer
  • It has "Night Mode" which turns the screen red
  • It creates a file with the settings in so you don't forget what you used for each capture. As with wxAstroCapture, settings can be saved so you can use them again.

When using LX mode, set "Exposure Control Line" to RTS. Leave the last 2 options at "None" and don't tick the "Invert" boxes.

There are some video tutorials on Youtube : here and here.

Post subject: Re: SharpCap - a wxAstroCapture alternative
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm 
Thanks Antony, I have tried this program in the past but it didn't like my vista laptop and had a few problems. Then when I did finally get it to do what it says on the tin, it conflicted all the other programs to do with webcams or recording software of any kind on my system and caused major problems...... I Liked the idea of the night vision option and the way it saves individual settings with each image set .... It just wouldnt work properly on my system at all and was more trouble than it was worth.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:41 pm 
There'll have been several new versions since then. Seemed OK on Windows 7.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:06 pm 
i use SharpCap and find it really easy to use. It has developed significantly in the last 12 months or so. The latest version is considerably better than when I first started using it.

The developer is a regular poster on SGL and I have seen him address any problems people have alerted him about within a few hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:19 am 

I've just tried the SharpCap program http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/ for the first time, and am quite impressed.

However it's one of those which requires the .NET Framework to be installed - not a problem with newer computers, but takes ages to load onto old WinXP machines!

But once installed, it was easy to set up for an LX-converted webcam, and I liked the facility to store a number of different camera settings as presets.

Each imaging run is saved in a separate folder, including a text file listing all the camera settings, and the files can be saved in either .FITS or .PNG formats.

Last edited by rwilkinson on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:22 pm 
Another thumbs up for Astrocapture from me - I need it as none of the other capture programs work with my webcam.
No gain control, which can be a pain & i havent quite worked out how to get around it on my setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:55 pm 

rwilkinson wrote:
the files can be saved in either .FITS or .PNG formats.

If you're going to use IRIS to process them, you'll need to change the file extensions from .FITS to .FIT
(try http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php).
Or you could use the .PNG option; this will load directly, but doesn't save a camera settings.txt file.