It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Usb to serial port adapter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:55 pm 
Hi all,
If anyone borrows one of the webcam imaging kits from the society but dosn't have the correct serial port on their computer then the solution is to borrow kit two as I have bought an adapter to allow the serial lead to still be used via a usb plug and I will leave this in the kit along with the software for it, drivers etc.
There is two disks in the kit, the small one contains the drivers for xp and earlier and as I am on vista I needed to download the correct drivers so I put them on the big disk in the kit along with drivers for windows 7. once these are installed and recognised on your computer everything works fine and as it should.
These really are fantastic imaging kits and well worth a try for both complete beginners to the more professional stargazer. I was blown away with the difference between using the cam in normal mode to using it in long exposure mode.
If anyone gets stuck installing this little gadget then give me a shout and I will explain in more detail......

Post subject: Re: Usb to serial port adapter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 pm 

Thanks for that Dean, that will be a big help - setting up those USB adaptor and selecting the right COM-port number can be a pain sometimes!

And thanks for your enthusiasm as our "trail-blazer" in using these modified webcams, hopefully more members will be able to follow in your footsteps soon?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm 
just a quicky,
If anyone would benefit from a 10m usb cable to run there telescope etc from indoors then I found these to be reasonable and when they arrived ( I ordered two) they were a lot better quality than the picture and work great ....
They are on ebay and the item number is: 130475411479.
They are just short of £8 each and they literally arrived the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:19 pm 
as of next meeting both webcam imaging kits will contain a serial/usb adapter plus the software drivers to run them for all common operating systems. So either kit will work for you no matter what ports you have/dont have on your computer. I found they work really well so it is worth both kit having one.