It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: philips spc880 webcam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 pm 
hi everyone, i have just ordered one of these and was wondering if anyone knew if they are any good? ..... also i noticed there is a page in the projects section of the members area on this cam but it dosn't seem to work when clicked ...... Is it simple enough to attatch an adapter for scope to this webcam ?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: philips spc880 webcam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:49 pm 
actually i have just read ross' review and seen the pictures of jupiter, awesome .... followed the link to the site you mentioned, is it worth buyingboth the adapter and the filter also ? thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 am 

Yes Dean, I thought that the filter and adapter were good value - unless you can make your own adaptor, and re-cycle the IR filter from the original webcam lens (as Brian and Keith have done).

My webcam conversion document is a 1.8MB PDF, so it will take some time to download. If you can't open it in your browser, then right-click, Save As...onto your hard-disk and open with Acrobat Reader.

Post subject: Re: philips spc880 webcam - IR filter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:43 pm 

Following up on the comments at last night's meeting...
It seems that the SPC880's original webcam lens assembly is different from Philips' earlier Vesta and Toucam designs, in that the IR-block filter is actually a coating on one of the plastic lens elements, rather than a removeable plane filter stuck on the back.
So it's not possible to re-use this as Brian and Dave described - you'll need to get the separate 1.25" filter to screw on the front of the eyepiece adaptor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
thanks Ross, my cam has arrived along with adapter and filter ..... however ...... i detached the webcams lense and attached the adapter and filter, then downloaded astrocapture and got the cam working fine no problems ..... until i attached it to telescope and tried to see jupiter ..... the focusing tube that the webcam or eyepiece inserts into wont wind far enough in to get the picture in focus!! is this something really simple to sort or is it a bit more technical ? when i use the normal eyepiece i can get the scope in perfect focus its just whan i use the webcam i just get doghnuts that do get smaller as i wind in but dont focus at all because not enough inward travel on the tube ...... any ideas ??
Thanks
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:01 am 

Well Dean, I've seen this problem on some 'scopes when attaching an SLR camera (where the focal plane is quite a distance inside the camera body, because of the flipping mirror), but I've never seen it with a webcam before: what model of 'scope are you using?
Well done on getting the camera going though - that can be quite tricky with some PCs and Operating Systems!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 am 
I think i have sorted it .... i made a new focusing tube and dismantled the webcam, then mounted the camera innards inside the end of the inner scope end of the new tube..... now, using the focus knob i have travel from where it was stopping before rite down inside the scope towards the mirror, so hopefully i should be able to achieve focus now, just waiting for a clear night. I have another camera on its way and im going to have a pop at mounting it in the back of an olympus om-10 body like the one i been taking the film pics with, then i can have a go at the long exposure mod and use the tracking mount that you lent me (some time ago now eh, it has seen some use since then) with various lenses on the camera and see what i can come up with. regarding getting the webcam working in the first place.......this was my second one! I managed to kill the first one i think, computer wont recognise I have even plugged it in any more..
Thanks
Dean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am 

You still didn't tell me which 'scope you were using?

I have here a webcam adaptor designed for the older Philips Toucam camera, where the lens wasn't partially recessed inside the housing. Now that you've got your SPC880 out of the case, it may allow it to mount further inside the eyepiece-tube. If you like, I could swap this for your SPC900-fitting one?

Or if it's the extra length of the front-mounting IR filter which is preventing your camera adaptor from sliding all the way into the eyepiece-tube, then I have found a way of fitting the filter-glass inside the adaptor-tube itself, to reduce the overall length.

By the way, did you see the bracket which we made for attaching an SLR lens onto the front of a webcam:
Attachment:
File comment: Custom bracket (designed by Ross and built by Brian) for mounting an M42 SLR lens on the front of an SPC900 webcam, for wide-field imaging.
lensbracket_small.jpg
lensbracket_small.jpg [ 54.4 KiB | Viewed 6540 times ]

Brian made a lovely job of this in aluminium, but my origninal prototype was made with a plastic rear-lens cap screwed onto a wooden batten - it may be easier than butchering your old camera?
The hole in the base-plate is threaded to fit a camera tripod (or the piggy-back bracket on most 'scopes).

I could have a look at your "dead" webcam if you like - I wouldn't claim to be an expert on them, but I have successfully loaded new firmware into a number of SPC880s (and my old Toucam)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:13 pm 
sorry yeah, the scope is the one the society lent me some time ago, its been working really well for me whilst i save up for one like yours ..... to be honest ross if this works im happy and your welcome to all the bits of the webcams, lenses, adapters and the like, there yours. I will bring the 'dead webcam with all the bits and pieces to a meeting soon and you can try to revive it if you like, thanks for that ..... yeah the bracket for the webcam to slr lense looks awesome and i bet it works perfectly to, ridding the need like you say of butchering my camera case ... what you did with the wooden baton and lense cap has sparked me off thinking now .... maybe you have just saved my camera case from being hacked to death .... watch this space....
thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34 pm 
just a thought Ross, if you would be so kind as to use your expertise and have a pop at the long exp mod for me to use with the tracking mount i would be eternally grateful .... of course i would provide you with anything it would cost, plus your time, reading your write up about it im fine with taking things apart but when it comes to soldering and the like ..... i may as well be using my feet !! or maybe there is some niggly job in your house you and your mrs have been meaning to sort but not got round to ... i do have a property repairs business and would be more than happy to oblige .... i realise im being cheeky asking but i just know i will kill the camera for sure if i try .... thanks.