It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blackrod Primary School
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:56 pm 

Hi All

I have been approached by the Year 5 Teacher at Blackrod Primary School to host a Star Party at their School.

We have covered this event before, which was well attended the Students, their Parents as well as some of the Teaching Staff.

There is no date yet agreed as we will need to wait for the nights to draw in as they will not want the Students out too late.

I will be taking along the some of my own equipment and also the Out Reach Scopes and of course the event will be open to our Members to bring along your equipment to assist.

I will keep this post updated as for possible dates and timings.

Bill

Post subject: Re: Blackrod Primary School
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 am 

Hi All

Dean and I attended Blackrod Primary School on Friday afternoon to present the Solar System slide show by Dean. Once again it went down very well and we were able to let the Children and the Teacher see and touch the Meteorite sample I got at Runcorn.

The Meteorite Sample is called a Campo Del Cielo and was from the Asteroid Belt.

The Campo del Cielo refers to a group of Iron Meteorites or to the area where they were found.
This area is situated on the border between near Buenos Aires, Argentina. The crater field covers an area of 3×18.5 kilometres and contains at least 26 craters, the largest being 115×91 meters.

The craters' age is estimated as 4,000–5,000 years.....

The craters, containing iron masses, were reported in 1576, but were already well known to the aboriginal inhabitants of the area. The craters and the area around contain numerous fragments of an iron meteorite. The total weight of the pieces so far recovered exceeds 100 tonnes, making the meteorite the heaviest one ever recovered on Earth. The largest fragment, consisting of 37 tonnes, is the second heaviest single-piece meteorite recovered on Earth

During our visit the Headmaster mentioned that the Children's Parents where asking about the Star Party so its defiantly on just need to sort out a date.

Bill