It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sharples School Star Party March 2016
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:40 am 

Hi All

We have arrange to support a Star Party at Sharples School on Wednesday March 16th starting at 7:00pm, so bring along your scopes / binoculars and any old astronomical mags you have finished with to hand out to any interested parties

Hopefully we will get some break in the clouds and get some observing done, this will also give you the opportunity to see their new Observatory and Telescope, should the weather let us down then the School has offered to open one of the lecture theatres and either have some form of presentation or general discussion / workshop

Regards

Bill

Post subject: Re: Sharples School Star Party 16th, March 2016
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:49 am 

The arrangements for tonight were confirmed at last night's meeting.

Mukesh is expecting a good turn-out from the School (parents and pupils) and the local community (some of whom may be looking for advice in buying or setting up telescopes of their own!).
The School's well-appointed new observatory will be open to visitors, and the pasties are on order! :D

The forecast is for dry conditions, with some gaps in the clouds:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcw2c6hcn
so we should be able to see something of the first quarter Moon (high up to the South), and maybe even Jupiter (rising in the SE).
But if the clouds do close in, I'll set up my "Jupiter simulator" to give us a target to look at. ;)

We are invited to bring along some of our equipment and set it up on the play area in front of the observatory (but don't fetch anything too cumbersome, as it will need to be carried from the car-park and down some steps).
Any BAS members bringing equipment may park in the STEM Centre car-park, as described in this post:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=246&start=5

Post subject: Re: Sharples School Star Party 16th, March 2016
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44 am 

rwilkinson wrote:
We are invited to bring along some of our equipment and set it up on the play area in front of the observatory (but don't fetch anything too cumbersome

I'll bring along a couple of 12V gel-batteries, in case anyone has a GoTo mount which needs power.

Post subject: Re: Sharples School Star Party March 2016
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 am 

What a brilliant evening the sky's stayed clear for us and I lost count of the number of students and parents attended, some even brought their own equipment for us to help in setting them up.

A big thanks to all the Members who took part in the Star Party. Hopefully you all go a look at the Observatory and the images from their Infinity Atik camera?

Can I also on behalf of the Society thank Mukesh and the School for the endless supply of pasties, own up who had more than 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:11 am 

I've just had a message from Mukesh:
Quote:
Thank you very much for all your support last it was a huge success with great feedback from parents and children.

And I checked with him if we would be OK to use any of the pictures which we took on the website and in the newsletter:
Quote:
Yes It would be fine to put the photos on the newsletter, we get blanket permission from parents at the start of the year, other non Sharples pupils, if they object then the would not have let you take their picture in the first instance, that is the line we take.

So here are the three which I took:
Attachment:
File comment: A dazzling view of the Moon - in both eyes!
ssp1.jpg
ssp1.jpg [ 327.67 KiB | Viewed 3268 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: I'd set my tripod at its lowest height, so that all but the smallest could reach to see the Moon.
ssp2.jpg
ssp2.jpg [ 382.71 KiB | Viewed 3268 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: We have only one Moon to admire, but Dave Walker was showing Jupiter and two of its brightest satellites.
ssp3.jpg
ssp3.jpg [ 341.78 KiB | Viewed 3268 times ]

And thanks to Bill for bringing round the pasties (I preferred the cheese to the meat ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:25 pm 

And we met up with our newest member Eric Cruice (who joined last night). He'd been concerned that he'd not got the collimation of his new 130P quite right - but when Gerald and Bill checked it with a laser, it was spot-on.
So later we had a look at Jupiter through it, and I could see a small black dot which turned out to be the shadow of Ganymede projected onto the planet's cloud-deck:
Attachment:
File comment: CdC chart of Jupiter and its moons just after 8:30pm on 16-Mar-2016
jupiter_16mar.png
jupiter_16mar.png [ 77.95 KiB | Viewed 3265 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:55 pm 

I would like to think we planned the night just to get the red spot and transit/shadow...

Our thanks are due to Mukesh and the team at Sharples for organising the event - it was great to see so many pupils and parents showing such an interest in astronomy.

Thanks are also due to those who brought telescopes - and carried them down those steps. It wouldn't have been as successful a night without your efforts.

But most of all - thanks to Mukesh for the pasties and the hot chocolate - what a combination!

Here's to the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:26 pm 

And let’s not forget those operating the observatory. :roll:

It was an honour to be controlling the telescope and dome for its first star party :D and thanks to Dean for being the remote focuser, explaining to folks about observing along with Chloe and Dave Southworth for the light entertainment between finding objects.

Below are some images taken from the Atik which where broadcast live to the big screen while David R. was explaining what the objects where. M42 was always going to be overexposed but M82 turned out good. We did have the moon and Jupiter for while for people to crowd around and see.

Again well done all

Attachments:
m82.jpg
m82.jpg [ 38.9 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]
m42.jpg
m42.jpg [ 9.31 KiB | Viewed 3233 times ]

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......