It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sacred Heart Outreach Event
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:21 pm 

We have been asked to provide another talk / observing session at Sacred Heart School in Westhoughton, this came in the form of 16 letters from their 6 Year Children, first ever.

I'm pleased to inform you that we have agreed Thursday 19th November starting at 7:30pm

Dean, David and I have agreed to attend, should the weather be kind to us we aim to use the new Atik Infinity camera to show live images on a laptop and if possible have a web broadcast at the same time, this however depends on Ross and Carl who are currently working on a suitable laptop and the web casting software.

Bill
Schools Liaison Officer

Post subject: Re: Sacred Heart Outreach Event
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:40 am 

Bill, I have 2 of my own channels to broadcast from which are free and you can also have live chat. you just sign up and create your own channel. Then you just post a link to your channel on the forum or send out emails when your going to do a broadcast.

http://www.uvlog.com/

http://connectcast.tv/

I'm also a broadcaster on Night Skies Network which is USA based and Video Astronomy Live which is based in the UK which I did a live broadcast from the IAS show Kenilworth on Altair Astro stand last month. You need to have a good internet connection or your webcast can be choppy and freezes as I found out at the show.

As far as laptops I use a i5, 8gig ram and 2gig graphics card laptop , you do need a decent processor for broadcasting as it eats up processor power sometimes as much as 75-80% depending on which camera I use.

I don't know if the infinity software has software built into it for webcasting but if it doesn't you will have to install a 3rd party software something like Manycam ot Xsplit which is also free, this grabs your preview window in the Atkin software for live streaming.

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:35 am 

John,

Managed to get the Infinity up and running to YouTube last night with some test streams using OpenBroadcast. Its not camera specific, open source and as you describe grabs the preview.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2KYN1csr6V8h3p2tW51Rnw/live

Quote:
As far as laptops I use a i5, 8gig ram and 2gig graphics card laptop , you do need a decent processor for broadcasting as it eats up processor power sometimes as much as 75-80% depending on which camera I use.

You make an interesting point about the processor. Had the same problem with the laptop we are using (its a lower spec) and in the end I had to knock back the FPS and Bitrate. Seem to be a compromise between the CPU and Quality. Glad you pointed it out!

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:15 pm 

Carl you could try different streaming software's to see which uses less cpu power, I normally limit it 60 fps anything more and you don't see any benefits

Post subject: Re: broadcasting from Atik Infinity
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:45 pm 

We'll be operating our Infinity camera in long-exposure mode - so the picture on the screen will only be updating at the rate of our exposure-time (probably between 10-sec and 2-min), so we should be able to use a very slow frame-rate: 0.1FPS or less (which may allow us to maximise the resolution of the broadcast image?).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:21 am 

You have to match your bitrate to the same as what's in the bottom right corner of OBS, try and keep the green bar constant, if it shows 1000kps set your bitrate to 1000 and so on. If it's red or yellow your bitrate is still to high

But it looks like you need a better laptop, my old xp laptop cant handle it. You could try and close all programs that start up in windows that your not going to use in msconfig and it could free up some resources.

Use a fast scope for EAA f4 or less, objects like M27, 57 are easily achievable in less than 10 sec and most likely about 5 seconds or less with the Atkin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:31 pm 

Carl,
Brilliant - watching it live in now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachment:
ringlive.jpg
ringlive.jpg [ 72.82 KiB | Viewed 4393 times ]

The ring Nebula in colour with 2 stars in the ring from Bury.

Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:00 pm 

As that's from the standard Artemis Capture program rather than the new Infinity software, I think that's just a single 10-sec exposure (rather than a live-stack) - so we can expect even better results in due course...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:54 pm 
Single exposure or not it's impressive, good view, nice and clear from the 11 inch . Awesome, well done Carl .... I have subscribed 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 am 

There is a description of the evening events over at the blogging section but thanks everyone for the feedback, hope everyone enjoyed the streams.

http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=817

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......