It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blackrod Primary Schoool proposed presentation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:53 am 

Hi this year has started early. We have a request from Blackrod Primary School to provide some equipment and a presentation, see below the request, Year 5 means that the Children will be 9 or there about.

I have yet to speak to the School to go through the detail. I'm sure we don't hire out equipment, and we don't have a planetarium so we could offer Stellarium. I thought one of Dean's interactive presentations would be ideal as it covers off what they are asking for. As for Neil Armstrong unless we have someone within the Society who has done some research I think it's not something we can offer.

I will update this post once I have any more information and possible dates.

Regards

Bill

I am a year 5 teacher (primary)with a topic entitled: Will we ever send another human to the moon?
I was wondering if you could possibly help me with the subject area and engaging the children. I was wondering about the possibility of hiring a telescope for class and if you have any contacts with a planetarium? (Possibly mobile?) or if you have any guest speakers/workshops?
The areas I am hoping to cover are the Earth, sun and moon, night and day, distance and sizes of Earth, moon and sun, planets and solar system and Neil Armstrong.

Post subject: Re: Blackrod Primary Schoool proposed presentation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:20 am 
H Bill,
You could cover off the "distance and sizes of Earth, moon and sun, planets and solar system" element by using the info contained here:-http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/AtHomeAstronomy/activity_10.html
and this one:- http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/science/orderingplanets.htm

I used this for a talk I gave to my son's Beaver group a couple of months ago. The biggest pain I had was numbering the individual sheets of toilet roll from 1 - 150 :D

Kids really lapped it up and they were tested the next week on whether or not they could name the planets in order - most of them did!

Ian