It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 4th March 2014 -- Sharples School
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 pm 

The next event will not be held at our usual venue but if the skies are clear we shall be located in a playground observing the night sky alongside the students and staff off Sharples School.

**Change of Plan**

In the event of it being cloudy we will still be located at Sharples but Dean has accepted a request to to do a back-up show for the evening and since Dean is good on engagement along with audience participation we figured this option would be more entertaining for the students/parents, rather then the show and tell that was previously planned.

Please bring scopes even if cloudy as they will add to the show but lets hope for clear Skies.

Address:
Sharples School
Hill Cot Road
Astley Bridge
Bolton
BL1 8SN

http://www.sharplesschool.co.uk/contact-us/

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: 4th March 2014 -- Sharples School
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:52 am 

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came last night, especially members who brought equipment. Thanks as well too Sharples Schools for hosting us and the lads who helped carry equipment between the car park and the playground. To Mukesh and Bill Bones for arranging the evening.

Though bands of cloud kept rolling in the conditions where well enough to allow visual viewing and I noticed some members where able to image a picture of M42.

I myself (along with parents and children) observed the cloud belts on Jupiter and view the nebula clouds around Orion's Nebula using my C11 . I could certainly hear a hive of activity up and down the playground especially around the BBT as people where queuing to take a look at Jupiter.

Certainly a night to remember

Regards

Carl

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 am 

Hear, hear. :D
I thought that it was a very successful event, and would like to echo my appreciation to Mukesh and Martyn at the School, and particularly the pupils who stayed behind to act as "sherpas" to help carry all our gear to and from the cars.

I had my C8 set up with a 26mm eyepiece (x78 magnification) and had loads of parents and children (and even some BAS Members!) looking at Jupiter, the Moon (which just fitted in the field-of-view) and the trapezium and M42. Although the sky wasn't particularly clear, it was fine for viewing these objects and despite the high humidity I didn't have any problem with dewing. In fact, if it had been a completely clear night then the icy conditions would probably have driven everyone back indoors much sooner?

Two things I'll need to remember for next time: a small step-stool to help the small children reach the eyepiece, and a camera to take some pictures to record the event.

:idea: If anyone else has pictures, or any more feedback comments then please post them here so that we can collate them for the newsletter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:35 pm 

Good points.

Would it be possible to get a couple more 2" eyepieces for the BBT, we currently have a 40mm and a x2 Barlow?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am 

Here's Bill's picture:
Attachment:
File comment: The Jovian system taken by Bill through the Big Bolton Telescope using his iPhone (afocal method)
20140304_203057.jpg
20140304_203057.jpg [ 24.17 KiB | Viewed 5691 times ]

And I know that one of our newest members took an even better one with her 'phone through my C8...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm 

Can add my thanks too to all those who attended and especially to those who brought scopes. I was mainly at the BBT and didn't get chance to look through all the scopes and see everyone. I suppose its a sign of success if there's a never ending queue!
I've tweaked Bill's BBT image - just a touch:

Attachments:
BillsJup.jpg
BillsJup.jpg [ 21.67 KiB | Viewed 5680 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm 

Thanks Dave

Been busy here today so not had a chance to have a go my self

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:32 pm 
Was going to say that's the best picture you've ever taken Bill :lol:
It was a good night & lots of parents interested as well as kids. Carls 'portable' setup cut an impressive sight -let me know if you want those EPs for a bit of a trial Carl
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm 

Just like to say that i really enjoyed tuesday night, got to look through most of the telescopes
Had my eyes opened when i found out that the M42 nebula was'nt the same colour through the scope as they are on the pictures :o but overall i thought the students were very well behaved & well mannered carrying stuff & lighting the way