It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: National Astronomy Week, March 2014
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 am 

Quote:
I would like to provide you with the latest details regarding the next National Astronomy Week, which will be taking place from 1st to 8th March 2014. I am supporting the NAW Committee as Project Co-ordinator and would also like to ask for your participation, as we are sure you will wish to be part of such an exciting event and this is a great opportunity to promote astronomy and the night sky to people throughout the UK.

National Astronomy Weeks run approximately every 5 or 6 years and they are usually linked with important astronomy events. The March date was chosen for the next Astronomy Week because Jupiter will reach 62 degrees altitude during this time (the greatest northern altitude for 12 years). It will be clearly visible in the southern sky in the early evening in the UK. Many observers should get their best view ever of this giant planet.

The 5th March 2014 also marks the 35th anniversary of the Voyager 1 fly-by of Jupiter, and in addition, this week is also convenient for observing a number of other objects: Mars and Saturn will both be near opposition and the impressive and familiar constellation of Orion will be prominent in the evening sky. The dwarf planet Ceres and the asteroid Vesta will also be visible. Having this wide variety of impressive celestial objects to look at will help participating organisations to offer inspiring events.

One of the key aims of National Astronomy Week is to help organisations to organise events. Information Packs, downloadable resources such as press releases, posters, guides for organising events and further information will all shortly be available at the NAW’s dedicated website, http://www.astronomyweek.org.uk.

Now is a good time to start thinking about events and activities that you would like to offer and getting involved with the project. This is a great opportunity to be part of a nationwide event that will be supported by national and local media. Please do let me know if you would like to organise an event and/or if I can be of any assistance.

Please also look us up on Facebook and follow us on Twitter by clicking Follow @NAW2014

I look forward to hearing from you.
With best wishes,
Mrs Laurie Marsden, NAW Co-ordinator
Email: naw2014@the-observatory.org

Sounds like a job for The Big Bolton Telescope?