It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Planetary imaging "clinic", 12-Feb
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:24 pm 

As we mentioned last night, this month we'll be starting our new series of "clinics" - the first being on planetary (and lunar) imaging on 12-Feb.

This will be different from my Tutorial last year: there won't be any formal presentation on the big-screen, but instead we'll look at a number of practical demonstrations, allowing smaller groups to ask detailed questions and get some "hands-on" experience. And it's also the opportunity to bring along your own equipment and get some advice on how to get the best out of it.

In this first session, Mike and I will set up Philips VGA webcams, Dave will demonstrate the new MicroSoft HD camera, John will show us his CCTV video camera and Dean will fetch a Canon DSLR with LiveView video capture for us to try.

We'll be doing this work indoors in the warm (I'll set up a "target" on one wall), so bring imaging equipment which will work close-up if possible (i.e. a telephoto lens rather than telescope). But if it turns out to be a clear night, we could then try to capture Jupiter "live" from outdoors too.

This first clinic will be concentrating on the image-capture process for bright objects at high magnification (i.e. the Moon and planets) - then next month Carl will go through the post-processing of these images.
And then we'll move on to imaging and processing of much fainter deep-sky targets.

The full programme for these clinic sessions is here:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/activites/tutorials.php

Post subject: Re: Planetary imaging "clinic", 12-Feb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:46 pm 

Thanks to all who came along and participated in our first session - it seemed to be quite a success (but we'll be better able to judge when we see more planetary images appearing in the Gallery) and we picked up three new members too (taking us up to a grand total of 75 for the year!).

And remember that next month's session will cover planetary image-processing, so there should be time to collect some video streams of Jupiter and the Moon to practice on....