It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The BBT road-show hits Westhoughton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 am 

Last night we paid a visit to the Sacred Heart Primary School, where more than fifty of the pupils and parents had braved the icy conditions for an evening of astronomy.
We set up four 'scopes in their car-park, and were lucky enough to see the Moon and Jupiter through gaps in the clouds.
As expected, the BBT was the star of the show, and now that we've re-assembled it to move the eyepiece around to the side of the tube, even the smallest child could safely ascend our Stairway to Heaven to reach the eyepiece.
Attachment:
File comment: Look at the right-hand edge of the picture and you'll see Bill holding up a sheet of hardboard (fished out of the adjacent skip) to shade the 'scope and observer from a nearby floodlight!
sacredheart 004.jpg
sacredheart 004.jpg [ 105.83 KiB | Viewed 3500 times ]

Once inside, Keith and Dean gave their presentations on the big screen to a packed hall, and we were all amused by one girl's suggestion that one of NASA's Mars Rover Robots should have been named "Wally" (rather than "Opportunity") :)

And after the meeting we were able to have a quick look at the Pleiades, Andromeda galaxies and the Double Cluster before it finally clouded over.

Thanks to John, Keith, Dean and Bill for all their work in supporting this event.

Post subject: Re: The BBT road-show hits Westhoughton
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am 

rwilkinson wrote:
where more than fifty of the pupils and parents had braved the icy conditions for an evening of astronomy

I've just heard from Bill, and he counted 8 rows of 16 parents & children in the hall during our presentation - and I'm sure that they all had a look through the BBT too.
The School have promised us some pictures and copies of their feedback forms, to use in our report back to the BIG Bolton Fund next month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:50 pm 
I think she meant Wall-e from the Disney film rather than Wally.

Attachments:
wall-e.jpg
wall-e.jpg [ 10.68 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
It certainly was a good event enjoyed by more than 60 children, parents and staff.
I have copies of feedback forms and also lots of pic's which I will bring at the next meeting.
My scope had a chunk of ice on it by the time everyone had left!
Again well done to Keith and Dean for their excellent presentations and to Ross & Bill for manning the BBT.
Attachment:
File comment: A good night was had by all
Sacred Heart Astro night pic.JPG
Sacred Heart Astro night pic.JPG [ 90.26 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]