It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ESA comes to Preston
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:56 am 

Email received from the University of Central Lancashire:

Quote:
Dear All

I am delighted to invite Bolton Astronomical Society to join the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), in collaboration with the Samuel Lindow Foundation, as we welcome Professor Dr Kai-Uwe Schrogl, Head of the Policies Department at the European Space Agency (ESA), to talk about ‘Europe’s Ambitions in Space’.

The main elements of ESA’s vision have remained relevant and solid since its creation, more than 30 years ago. These are: a competitive space industry across Europe; researchers leading the way in scientific discovery; high-quality satellite-based services for European citizens and governments; and, a strong share in the global space market. What have changed are the policies. ESA manages long-term programmes in a rapidly changing world. This is a real challenge, but ESA has responded by setting itself a clear objective: Europe must continue to have a prominent role in space at a time when other world powers are rapidly developing their space capabilities. Professor Schrogl will talk about how Europe can achieve this ambitious aim.

The University itself has a long-standing research and teaching involvement with space and astrophysics. The Jeremiah Horrocks Institute for Astrophysics and Supercomputing, exists to pursue research into the physics of the Sun, stars and galaxies. The staff are involved in a number of international world-leading research partnerships. For example, in July 2012, UCLan, in collaboration with NASA, launched a sounding rocket which captured the highest ever resolution images of the Sun in extreme-ultraviolet light. For more information, please visit the website http://www.star.uclan.ac.uk

The event will take place on Wednesday 16th January 2013 at 6.30pm to 9.30pm in the Foster Lecture Theatre at the University’s Preston campus; a map with the exact location and transport routes is shown on the reverse of the flyer.

I would ask if you could please confirm whether you are able to join us by contacting the event organiser, Sue Conduit - contact details are: telephone number 01772 893390; email address saconduit@uclan.ac.uk.

Yours sincerely

Robert W Walsh
University Director of Research

Post subject: Re: ESA comes to Preston
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:04 am 

Looks like an interesting evening, I have put in my diary

Cheers

Post subject: Re: ESA comes to Preston
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
I would like to attend also.

Do we need to let them know individually or should we just have a show of hands on Tuesday and then let them know in a single email?