It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Big Bolton Telescope
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm 

The Big Bolton Telescope has been assembled.

http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/activites/bigboltonscope.php

We've created a webpage that can be found under activities and will update with some "society orientated" images. But wanted to say thanks to Ross for the Technical details and the grammar.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: The Big Bolton Telescope
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 am 

Blimey thats big, did a set of ladders come with it coz I'll have to climb on someone's back to get to the eyepiece. :o

Will it be out on the 22nd if we have clear skies?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am 

jpinna wrote:
Blimey thats big, did a set of ladders come with it coz I'll have to climb on someone's back to get to the eyepiece. :o

Probably, I'm going to bring a spare set untill we know what we need.

Quote:
Will it be out on the 22nd if we have clear skies?

Going to be bringing it on the 20th November for the show and tell. But yes will be bringing it for sharples as well.

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am 

Excellent work Carl - thanks.

:idea: If any of our Members have good-quality 2" eyepieces with focal lengths under 30mm, please bring them along to our observing sessions so that we can try pouring some photons from our "light-bucket" into them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:01 pm 
Do we have the shroud yet? A certain "Mr Bill Bones" is enquiring via our Facebook page and I don't know what to tell him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 am 

I've been informed that the light shroud will be dispatched at the end of next week.

It was part of the deal when we order the telescope

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

Post subject: First Light with The Big Bolton Telescope
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 pm 

I'm delighted to announce that we've just had "first light" with our new 16" 'scope - thanks to Bill Bones for hosting a small group of BAS members (Carl, Brian, Ross, Antony and Mike) in his garden.
Attachment:
File comment: The BBT in "the Bones yard", with an improvised light-shroud fitted. There's a battery in the green bag, which is powering the blower-fan on the back of the primary.
firstlight1.jpg
firstlight1.jpg [ 188.47 KiB | Viewed 6855 times ]

Once we'd got it assembled and roughly collimated and lined up the finder-scope it was straight onto Jupiter, which was dazzlingly bright and very stable, with the belts and all four Galilean moons clearly visible. We started with the 40mm eyepiece (45x magnification), then put in the x2 Barlow lens (90x) and finally ended up with Ross's 26mm and the x2 Barlow (140x) - which brought out lots of detail in the cloud-belts.
Attachment:
firstlight3.jpg
firstlight3.jpg [ 155.41 KiB | Viewed 6855 times ]

Bill then went onto the Pleiades, but even with the 40mm eyepiece we couldn't get them all in. So next we slewed around to The Ring Nebula, which stood out clearly, particularly with the Barlow and 40mm eyepiece. Then whilst we were in Lyra we pointed it at Vega and Brian fitted his Ronchi-tester eyepiece and confirmed that the optics were well-figured.
Attachment:
firstlight2.jpg
firstlight2.jpg [ 171.64 KiB | Viewed 6855 times ]
We also had a look at the double-star Albireo - "see one, get one free - in a choice of colours!"

Our next target was the Double Cluster, which was almost directly overhead, so I found it quite tricky to manouevre the tube into position (a bit like pointing an EQ-mounted 'scope at Polaris) and I even needed the steps to reach the finder-scope's eyepiece!
But once we'd found it, we were all really knocked out by the view - the 40mm eyepiece gave just the right field for this object, and we could even appreciate the different colours of the individual stars around the clusters.
Then it was onto the M31 Andromeda Galaxy (the bright central core, anyway), which Bill had never seen in an eyepiece before.

The M13 globular cluster and the M51 Whirlpool Galaxy were too low, and although we could just see Orion rising, the M42 nebula was obscured by a tree. I did have a brief look for the M1 supernova remnant, but couldn't make it out. And by this time we'd had enough of the freezing conditions, so it was time to pack away. Even though there was frost forming on the outside of the tube, there was no sign of condensation on the optics themselves.

So all in all, a very successful evening. Thanks again to Bill for hosting us (and we hope that your lawn recovers next spring!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 am 

Sounds brilliant!
But I wonder who made the cardboard shroud!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 am 

Who needs a GoTo when Ross is around :roll:

I'm very please it went well, not only the scope getting first light be we had chance to check it over, even in the polluted light in my garden there was plenty see.

We even had the chance to compare the small DOB belonging to Sharple's School with ours, what a difference :lol:

I'm sure the lawn will be fine, it's still frozen, when I took the milk in it had frozen solid, just shows how clod it was

Looking forward to the next one.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:40 pm 

The Cardboard Tailoring Department was busy again tonight, and now we have a snug-fitting "interim" light-shroud:
Attachment:
mk2shroud.jpg
mk2shroud.jpg [ 137.69 KiB | Viewed 6821 times ]

We also fitted the anti-dewing heater on the secondary support, and sorted out the wiring for the controller and primary fan.

And of course we couldn't resist another peek at Jupiter and the Ring Nebula, through gaps in the clouds:
Attachment:
secondlight.jpg
secondlight.jpg [ 150.67 KiB | Viewed 6821 times ]

So all is ready now for our first star-party...