Mars,Saturn and the ISS

Blog the previous nights viewing. Link to images on the gallery or simply describe what you observed the night before. Leave the technical and howto in another forum.
rwilkinson

Mars,Saturn and the ISS

Post by rwilkinson » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Seeing that the sky was clear but floodlit by the Full Moon, I decided to have a look at Mars and Saturn with my C8, rather than try any imaging of faint comet 64P.
So at 8pm I set up my tripod at the bottom of the garden, from where I could catch Saturn just before it "set" behind next door's roof.
Then just as I was slewing to Mars, I saw a bright moving point tracking across the sky towards the planet, and passing just to the South. I've just checked on Heavens-Above.com, and it was indeed the International Space Station!
Mars itself was very bright, but extremely wobbly - but I was looking at it directly over some houses, which would have added to the turbulence of the intervening air (I've had much better results in the past when planets were higher in the sky and further East, so I was looking over the trees in the Park).