It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: M97 and M42
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:26 am 

Otherwise known as the Owl Nebula I was able to image it using the C11 and Atik infinity. This is a magnitude 8 object and needed 30 Second exposure before I could even see anything and even then had to wait for a few images to stack.

Am also getting use to placing the image on full screen but nervous as I need to assure myself the software is still stacking. Also learnt on how to zoom, just need to remind myself to move the mouse out the way :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1AA9uVHeBs

Streaming to YouTube at 3 FPS (really needs to be 10) the YouTube video doesn't give justice to what we being seen on the Laptop screen, but at 30 second I am pushing what maybe be possible on a fork mount because field rotation is becoming obvious especially in the next video. :!:

Which is M42 and knowing it was not going to fit inside the mirror and really burn the centre out, figured I would have a crack and concentrate on at least getting some of the clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HK1e0QhM24

These where 2 second images and was pleasantly surprised it came out nice and red with some details but also cold :shock:

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......

Post subject: Re: M97 and M42
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 pm 

Well done Carl - not bad at minus 5 degrees!
For the long exposure ones it would be better if they could replay faster - waiting 30 seconds for the next image is a pain. The 2 second refresh for the Orion Neb is about right -- for my attention span at least.
I think you will get better colour with the IR filter in place. Most UHC filters pass IR - the ones marked "UHC-CCD" block it.